4.2

After a couple of minutes, the pair returned to the picnic blanket where the previous rabbits also returned. Carlos laid the flowers in the middle as the two rodents hopped towards it. One even almost started making a snack out of it.

"Oh no," Hedith said, grabbing the animal gently and putting it on her lap, "These flowers aren't for you to eat."

"C'mere you little furbites," Carlos carried the other rabbit and started scratching it behind the ears. Its left foot started thumping as he did so making Hedith smile and laugh in amusement.

"Heh. Cute," Hedith said and took one chrysanthemum and one Aster from the patch of flowers started weaving them together.

"What are you going to do?"

"Just watch me and learn at the same time," she said. She created a succession of the flowers, intertwining them using their stems. Chrysanthemum, Aster, poppy, repeat.

Carlos watch in amazement as Hedith managed to created a wreath out of them, "A flower crown!"

"Kore taught me how to make one," she said and puts the rabbit down on the blanket. She scooted towards Carlos and puts the crown on top of his head, "And this one's for you."

The crown fits perfectly on his head. He touched it gently and inspected how well made it was. He smiled towards Hedith and thanked her.

"I don't really think this is my color, though," he said sheepishly.

"It really isn't."

The pair of rodents jumped off their laps and started nibbling on the remaining flowers. Hedith can't help but stare at them with a smile on her face.

"You like rabbits?"

"Huh?"

"I think you're thinking of taking these two home," Carlos smirked, gesturing to the pair of wild animals.

"That'll surprise my dad for good," she laughed.

"Since when was he up from your kingdom?"

"A couple of days ago. He had to be in the trial for Landon and his croonies," she said and took another sandwich from the container, "He was mad when he heard about today."

"Did he know about that night in Arendelle?" Carlos carefully mentions, Hedith chewing slower at the topic, "I haven't mentioned it to anyone. Not even Mavros."

"How'd... you feel about that?"

The topic was going to be brought up sooner or later and Hedith wasn't really sure how to answer. One of many things. But it was inevitable. It was the elephant in the room that they both have ignored for far too long.

"I was taken aback, seriously," she said, staring into the distance, "I don't know how to react. My long-time crush that I had given up on suddenly said he liked me. Say, how'd you react to that?"

She grinned, bowing her head almost in a shy way.

"Yeah, sorry," Carlos apologized, scratching the back of his head, "I just wanna tell you sooner."

"At least you had the guts to," she admitted, "I like you, Carlos. But there are reasons why I'm holding back."

"Why do you have to? You like me the same way, too, right?" Carlos asked, leaning towards her. She leaned away in return, popping the last bit of the sandwich into her mouth.

"I'm a princess of an Underground kingdom. Mythical, even. That's very far from Auradon and not just anybody can access into it without being dead or having god blood in their veins. Being the princess of that means I have a lot of responsibilities to uphold. You dated Jane who had lesser worries than me and yet you still broke up," she said. Her voice almost letting out the sadness she felt through those words, "I like you, Carlos. But I feel that it just won't work out."

"..."

He wasn't able to reply to that. The facts were laid out there. Their feelimgs are mutual, but the thing is, Hedith has a different path from him. That's the barrier.

"You know why I let you pick those flowers?" Hedith asked as she turned back to him. He tilted his head in a questioning way and she extended her hand to touch the flowers.

"White Chrysantemum means Truth."

She touched the aster, "Aster symbolizes Love."

Then she touched the poppy, "...and Poppy is Beauty."

Then she retracted her hand from his crown and smiled, "Kore said that only the most beautiful flowers are picked from the garden because the person thinks of that as their most treasured ones."

A hint of red flushed into Carlos' face at the indication from Hedith. It was adorable. It compliments his freckles perfectly and it was sight that is worth a thousand pictures.

"Do you really think that's me?" She asked. Carlos regained his composure and smiled. Taking off the crown and putting it on her head, "What—"

"Of course, it's you," he said, smoothly, "Someone who has a pure and beautiful heart."

There was seriousness and sincerity in his tone. It's like he fully believed what he said. It's like that one sentence is what he truly sees Hedith as even of the girl herself doesn't see herself such as that. But something else was there. The feeling of mutuality not just by rheir feelings but by their past also. An estranged past that was honed in solidarity and enclosure from others. They share that with many others, but there was something else in it that makes the two of them feel so in sync and chaotic at the same time.

"What I felt for Jane greatly differs from what I felt for you. You were everything Jane isn't. You were the opposite and that what attracts me to you. You said the same thing about your father and Persephone. Do you think the same can be said for us?"

She'd done nothing but stare at his sincere face. It was true. She was everything Jane isn't. She was everything Carlos isn't. They were both shy and the underdog. Hedith refuses to be like that. Hedith is a rebel that doesn't want to back down on things. An aggressive spirit. And it was something that she thought wouldn't let her have a romantic relationship.

There was a moment of hesitation in her heart before she smiled and dragged him up from his seat. He asked what she was thinking at the moment, dragging him around the fields before stopping in front of a patch of flowers.

She bent down to pick a few, creating a new crown. This one is purely made of just red chrysanthemums. She  faced Carlos once again, and asked him to bend down. He stared at the flowers for a moment before doing so and letting her put the crown on top of his head again.

"So what does red chrysanthemums mean?" He asked.

"Search it up," she smirks. Carlos did, putting out his phone to search the meaning.

Hedith waited patiently before his eyes widened and stared back at her. Both of them smiled widely. Carlos quickly hugged Hedith, having her laugh at the sudden gesture.

Pulling away, the two of them slowly leans foward. Letting their lips meet into a blissful and wonderful first kiss.

Red Chrysanthemums - I love you