Wednesday - January 29

Devon sat under the Caribbean tree on the yard, watching as the flags blew in the wind. As she sat there, she challenged herself to name all of the flags that hung there. It still blew her mind that Jamaica and Trinidad had the largest population at Hayward, and yet their flags were nowhere to be seen. The yard was pretty much empty save for the few stragglers either headed to or from the student center. Although the sun was shining, it was too cold to be hanging out on the yard. Devon shivered, pulling her hood up over her head. She was waiting for Jaylen to get out of her lab, so that they could eat lunch in Bluebird Cafe. Soon enough, the yard erupted with life, as it was noon and classes were over. People were now hustling into the student center, headed back to their dorms, or headed to their next classes. It was too cold to stop and chat, so friends passed by with a shout and a head nod. Eventually, Jaylen appeared under the tree, her eyes scanning the crowd. Without word, Devon got up, the two crossing the yard together.

As always, Bluebird Cafe was bustling. Devon got in the burger line immediately, Jaylen getting in line to see what else they had to offer. Displeased with the options, Jaylen joined the burger line. The plate was hot, but she knew the food on it was going to be cold. They found two seats by the windows, squeezing past people to get to them. The girls sat, people-watching and eating their food. Coincidentally, they both spotted Maddi, their freshman friend, at the same time. She waved to them, disappearing to get food.

"Hey guys!" Maddi said, setting her plate down next to Jaylen. They returned her greeting, asking her how her second semester was going, telling about theirs.

"Maddi you going to Amir's birthday party?" Devon asked, sprinkling salt on her fries.

"No. But I'm going to the Alpha house party Saturday, y'all should come." she said. Devon and Jaylen smirked at each other.

"Oh yeah, we there. Just text us the address." Jaylen said. She'd moved on to the fries now, her burger wasn't satisfactory enough.

Checking her watch, Devon realized she'd have to leave the caf now if she wanted a good seat in class. She got up to toss her plate away, nearly bumping into Dominic.

"What's up?" he asked, nodding to her. She smiled, nodding back. She hurried back to tell Jaylen that he'd acknowledged her in public. After that, she headed to class, excited about Amir's birthday and now the Alpha house party.

****

Devon grudgingly walked to her lab after her math class, she spotted Leo and Ajani in the hallway. She felt their stares, not making eye contact. Oh yeah, def been marked. She couldn't put in the door code fast enough, nearly tripping over herself to get in the classroom. Trey swiveled in his chair, nodding at her.

"Just the man I've been waiting to see, what are you up to this weekend?" she asked.

"Oh you know, I'mma get into some things." His answer wasn't really an answer. Before Devon could call him out on it, their professor came in.