Chapter 3

"What are you talking about? I'm not on any medication." Andy asked.

"For the manic depression, Andy. It runs in my side of the family, and by the looks of it, you have it too. I was hoping you wouldn't get it, but everything you just described are symptoms." Elena stepped closer and rubbed Andy's arm, trying to break the news easily.

"I'm not crazy, and I'm definitely not depressed," Andy rolled her eyes. "I'm just grieving."

"You're in denial, but that's okay." Elena paused to give Andy a soft, supportive smile. "I was too when I found out I had it. Shortly after, you were born and I was diagnosed with postpartum depression in addition. Your father would always criticize me because he thought I was making it up. That's why I left, Andy. I felt like I was letting you and your father down more and more as the days passed. I'm sorry. But Andy I'm worried about you, I don't want you to be like me. You need professional help ASAP . . . before you jeopardize your baby's health."

"What do you mean 'my baby's health?' I'm not pregnant."

Elena realized that there was no point in arguing with her daughter, so instead she asked, "Annie sweetie, when was your last period?"

Suddenly, Andy felt very lightheaded. She tried to walk over to the sofa to sit down but her body refused to move, as if her feet were super glued to the floor. She was about to panic at this, but when she looked over to her mother, she was distracted by the rage growing inside her. "First of all, don't call me Annie. You lost that privilege the instant you walked out on Dad and I instead of getting help. Second, you need to get off your damn high horse. You're walking around like you know everything about everything . . . well newsflash, you don't. You are not a shrink, so unless you're some kind of psychic, you don't get to say what's wrong with me. And F-Y-Motherfucking-I, I'm pretty sure I would know if I was pregnant."

Andy was so angry with her mom that words fail to explain it. Elena did not have the right to show up after 20 years and make assumptions. Andy opened her mouth to yell some more but nothing came out. She realized her last period was around the time she and Robert got married, about 8 weeks ago. She couldn't be pregnant so soon, right? "No, there is no way," she thought, as the room started spinning.

"Clearly coming here today was a mistake." Andy snarled as she turned around to rush out of the motel. After a few steps, however, she started to feel incredibly nauseous and dizzy. Before Elena and Sandra could blink, Andy's eyes rolled to the back of her head and her body fell to the floor.