Losers Weepers

"Hey y'all, seat yourself wherever you'd like and I'll get to you soon." The young waitress chimed over the quiet pop music that sounded too fuzzy to even recognize.
They looked around and saw that there is close to nobody at the diner besides a portly old man sitting at the bar drinking what looks to be a coffee and reading the newspaper.
The group all nodded to her and chose a large booth in the back corner.
"You guys know we aren't in that big of trouble, even if we were caught, they'd just let us off with a warning. Why are we basically hiding?" J spoke up as they slid into the booth.
"We are just being careful, I guess, or paranoid, it could be either." Jo answered quickly, confused herself. "I'm not even hungry." Slicing the menu away from her.
"Well I need a water soon or I might die." Earl added running a hand through his sweaty hair.
They all sat quietly for a while after ordering their desired food and drink. Only speaking to talk about the food or if that waitress could tell they've been running away from something. They were just anxious, as they should be. The only ones that knew what it felt like to run from the police was Geoff and Jo. They're "unstoppable partners in crime" as Eli and Layne like to jokingly put it. They'd all known Jo for quite some time but none of them come close to knowing her as well as Geoff does. The guy's are all surprised Geoff and her aren't dating. It seems like it'd only make sense. But the two of them insist that will never be the case and they see each other as siblings at most, and criminals at best.