Chapter 22: Changes

"Do you really have to leave?"

"I'll be back in a month. Don't worry."

"I'll miss you, Knut."

I watch him with my raven fledgeling eyes. Knut only chuckles at my face-pulling and rubs my head with affection:

"I'll be back, and bring lots of food for everyone. I've told my brother about you, so he'll watch out for you while I'm gone."

"Wait, you've told the warden?"

He didn't have to tell that monster about me! I thought I'd get by without attracting too much attention. After all, I'm planning on how to escape. Knut fully trusts in my innocence, but if the warden watches me, he might suspect something.

"Yeah. I've also informed him about Derek back then, and now I've reminded him about the incident. He'll be on the alert."

"Knut..." I hesitate, for I don't want to hurt his feelings. He really does seem to love his brother too much. But then, I also care about my fellow prisoners, and myself. "There are talks, that the warden is a monster. I wouldn't want to be under his constant watch."

"Bob has been spreading those rumours." He frowns. Just as I've expected, he's got upset. "He needs the warden to be some scary figure whom all the prisoners will be terrified of. But I don't want you to believe in such prejudices about my brother. He's just and kind. He might be aggressive only because of his sickness and pain. But in winter, that pain subsides. He no longer has to take painkillers, which make him fall asleep. That is why he never sleeps in winter."

Now when Knut explains it that way, it sounds more believable. My feeling gets worse - if it is true and the warden is really going to supervise us, we won't be having a good day. I don't trust in Knut's words - he is surely defending him out of brotherly love. 

"I have to go now," he says. "See you when I'm back."

He's ready to leave, but I clutch his arm.

"What_"

I don't let him finish the question. I stand on my toes and press my lips against his. Annabelle has advised me well - it is time to move this relationship further, and this might be the only chance. A girl whose sweetheart is leaving for a month, so she's going to miss him, lonely as ever... It is fully natural.

Knut's feline eyes widen for a moment, but then, to my greatest joy, he closes them and returns an affectionate kiss. It is blissful and sweet, totally different from the one back with Derek, at the merpeople party. I hate remembering that one even now after so many months have passed. Knut's kiss makes me undergo true delight, and the merpeople party goes forgotten.

When our lips get off each other, we both smile.

"I'll miss you." He rubs my cheek.

"I'll miss you too, Knut."

I hug him one last time and let him go. He's being late enough. 

Knut and his party soon leave the prison building, and in a few moments, also the island. All of them are water elementals, so they can easily cross the ocean.

That is the only way out of here, I guess - the water deviants will be crucial for my escape plan.

I go back to my cell. Since Knut has gone, I can no longer roam freely in this prison. Vincent lets me in and closes the door. The vampire district is unusually quiet. Even Annabelle's absent. I wonder what's happening.

I take a seat on my mattress. 

I'll need all the water deviants for the escape. Of course, my initial plan is to go with all the prisoners, but if some of them disagree to come, out of fear or some other reason, I won't be begging them otherwise. I'll go with those who agree on coming. However, the water deviants are a different matter - the more will come, the merrier.

Merpeople are the greatest water deviants - even the non-elementals among them are water creatures. But to assure all of them on coming, I will need to get rid of the headman who's terrorizing them - Derek. If Derek is off the way, all the merpeople prisoners will become my allies. They will have nothing to fear anymore.

These past three months, all the three of us - Yelen, Annabelle, and I - have evolved as vampires. As I've mentioned, Yelen's been fully turned. Annabelle has bones growing out of her shoulder blades, which will soon cover with skin and become bat wings. I, on my part, have cut-marks on my shoulder blades now - soon, bones will begin to grow out of them.

Naturally, my strength has drastically increased, as well as my speed, resistance, and adaptability. But I don't think it will be enough to beat an inborn shark deviant. If I want to kill him and get the merpeople on my side, I will need to train hard. In winter, when they don't allow us to hunt, training will be difficult. But I'll come up with something.

"Hey, Theo!"

Annabelle has arrived. Where has she been? And why is she so excited?

"Let's go! We'll be celebrating a wedding!"

"A... wedding?"

"Rufus has proposed to Yelen!"