Chapter 55 - Anticipating December

Getting Zack and Kelly dropped off at the airport in time for their flight on Sunday morning wasn't as difficult as the two families anticipated it would be. They didn't bring much with them, so both young people packed quickly. Everyone had a short night's sleep, then the Goodmans were back. Greg helped load everything in the Abernathy's car. He, Jessie, and Bert said goodbye to Zack and Kelly, then Susan drove herself, Shelly, and the two travelers to the airport. It took her approximately two hours to drop them off at the departures terminal and to make the round trip. Greg offered to take their two families out for breakfast after they returned, before Susan, Shelly and Bert went to church. They took him up on it. And so the Goodmans and the Abernathys breakfasted together, wondering how things were going for Zack and Kelly at the airport. Their plane was taking off at roughly the same time their families were being served.

c

Zack and Kelly settled themselves gratefully into their seats once they boarded the plane.

"How are you today?" Zack asked as quietly as he could. Their flight was full, so the airport had been crowded. It wasn't until they boarded the plane and had two seats together by themselves they found a relatively quiet place to talk.

"I'm not sure," Kelly told him frankly.

"Are you still late?" Zack wondered.

"Yes and no. I think my period started today. It feels like it, and I am bleeding some this morning. It's different, lighter than normal, but I still think that's it," Kelly told him somewhat anxiously.

Zack drew a sigh of relief, thinking he knew what Kelly's update meant.

"Do you want to change your mind about getting married? I mean, if it turns out I'm not?" Kelly asked. "I suppose we could just ignore the license we got. It expires in two months."

"No. I don't want to ignore it, and I still want to marry you as soon as we can. I mean, the more I began remembering yesterday and talking about things, the more I think this is the right time," Zack said. "So I'm going to give you the engagement ring part of the set I bought you as soon as we get back."

"What do you mean, it's part of the set you bought me?" Kelly asked.

"The promise ring I gave you is part of a set that all fits together. It's like I told you when we were on our way here. There is an engagement ring with another diamond, and a wedding band ... sort of a guard ring that locks them all together," Zack explained.

Kelly looked at her boyfriend wide-eyed. "So we're really like ... engaged?"

Zack nodded. "Yes, I think we are." He smiled happily at Kelly. "When we go back to New York in December, bring a nice dress. I'll bring my suit. We'll find a place and get married ... before Christmas ... while we're there."

"Even if this turns into a normal period? Even if I'm not pregnant?" Kelly asked to be clear.

"Yes, even then," Zack assured her.

"What are we going to do about our families?" Kelly asked. "Are we going to tell them?"

"Do you want to?" Zack asked.

"Eventually. I mean my mom is going to want to know," Kelly said.

"I know. My mom will too ... but I think for now, it's better if we sort of elope. Keep it secret for a while until we can figure things out. Because you know, we do both want to finish school, and for this year at least, our parents have already paid for our schooling. We need to not mess that up for financial reasons. But if we get married now, that way we'll be sure we have the timing right for our life, even if we still have to work out the logistical stuff for how to finish school," Zack explained. "We'll have to do that next year regardless, but this gives us some time to figure it out."