part 6

Throughout the next week, Skye tried to keep her self from thinking about Jeffrey. But it was difficult, they had of course already been through this, Jeffrey being in love with Skye. When they were both 14 he had decided Skye was his one and only and had ruined an entire family vacation as well as most of the summer for her. They were older now, things seemed more permanent, more pertinent.
Each member of the family had tried, utterly unsuccessfully to talk to Skye. First came Jane, banging into their room, angry at first but at the sight of Skye hunched over on the roof, she softened. "Why'd you send him away?" No answer than a soft slam as Skye banged the window shut behind her.
Rosalind was called of course but Skye refused to speak to her, hiding away when she heard the phone ring. Ben and Batty were no help either. Iantha tried her best of course and Mr Penderwick, but nothing could break stubborn Skye.
She simply didn't want to talk about Jeffrey that was it. She knew her family was upset at her for keeping him from them as well as worried about her. But Skye was never talented in the area of talking about her feelings or others for that matter and she couldn't bring herself to.
On Monday morning Skye came downstairs determined to look and remain calm after a weekend of worry.
"Morning dears," Iantha said as Skye came down the stairs into the living room. She was already holding Lydia and looked as if she was just about to open the door and leave for the day. " I have to go in early so I'm dropping Lydia off instead of your father. Have a good day and Ben-don't forget to wash your face. Dirt already." She sighed and kissed him on the head. Iantha made to embrace Skye as well but thought better and simply smiled. Skye almost wished she could lean in and hug her, but only for a second. She shook the feeling off.
"Bye, come on Ben. Have you had breakfast?"
Jeffrey will come to his senses of course he will. Once he comes next week it'll all be fine just some time away... Skye found herself repeating these words to herself over and over throughout the school week. If only she could make herself really believe them. She really did love Jeffrey, but just not in the way he wanted her to. She couldn't bear to hurt him, she just couldn't.