A gift

They walked slowly up the stairs, Skye could feel her heart beating fast and her breathing quicken but she wasn't quite sure why. Jeffrey led the way to Ben's room where he was staying and sat down on the bed, looking at Skye who was still standing in the door way.
"Did you see the look on Oliver's face when Lydia yelled at him? It's like he's never encountered a toddler before." Jeffrey was rummaging through his bag with one hand and laughing at the memory of the incident at dinner where Lydia had screamed at Oliver for taking away the Dandelions Nick gave to her.
Skye, momentarily surprised at Jeffrey's nonchalant tone, smiled.
"It's not like she's just any toddler, she's really loud."
"I'm sure you were the same way."
"Ha." Skye sat down on the bed, careful to put distance between Jeffrey and herself.
"I can just imagine little Skye having a temper tantrum because Hound slobbered on you or something." He smiled to himself
"You had a gift for me?" Skye said impatiently
"Oh right," Jeffrey resumed his search for the gift." Ummmm it should be..." He moved his hand around in the duffel bag. "Got it, here." He stuck out his hand expectantly.
Skye's heart dropped as she caught sight of the little black box. no no no no no
"Oh Jeffrey you didn't get me jewelry-"
"I didn't. Just open it." He shoved the little box in her direction.
"You swear? Because you know what I would do to you if you did-"
"Open it."
Cautiously she took the box from his hand and pulled off a carefully wrapped blue ribbon.
Jeffrey shifted in his seat she doesn't love me she doesn't love me-
"Jeffrey..." Skye held up a calculator watch with a wristband the same color as the ribbon.
She looked down to clasp the little watch to her wrist. What was she thinking? Jeffrey would never get her jewelry, he knew her to well for that. What was wrong with her?
"Thank you, I love it." Jeffrey smiled "And thank you for being so... nice today. And normal." Skye stumbled a bit with her words and she silently cursed herself for doing so.
"Of course, I wouldn't want to wake the rage monster," Jeffery teased, he leaned awkwardly across the bed to hug her. Her eyes widened and she felt her head get hot. She hugged him for just a second before letting go and retreating to her edge of the bed.
"Skye, I think I can do this forever if you want, forget my feelings, I think I can. It's just, how can I really when-"
Skye looked at him confused.
"You're so beautiful and-"
"Jeffrey." Skye's eyes lit up, more hurt than angry.
"Listen to me-"
"No! No, I will not listen. You promised." Her voice broke softly. "You promised."
Skye could see the little tears mull in his eyes and for a second, she felt herself loosing control of everything, of her feelings. But that second was gone in an instant, she wanted him out, she couldn't look at him anymore. Jeffrey mouthed words, no sound came out. His face was paler than Skye had ever seen and he looked as though he might faint, but seeing the look in her eyes, he got off the bed and made to leave.
Taking his bag and shoes and the drawings Lydia had made, he didn't once look at Skye who was still slumped on the bed. But as he stood in the doorway, the uncontrollable urge to hug her, scoop her up in his arms and wipe away the tears gathering under her eyes rushed into his body. But he only stared for a moment, longing in his eyes and closed the door gently behind him.