Birthday celebrations

Jeffrey drummed his fingers along the edge of the steering wheel and hummed half heartedly. He turned swiftly onto the narrow and sunny Gardam street. Out of the corner of his eye, he  spotted a mane of red curls bobbing up and down followed by a much taller, grinning Batty.  No turning back now Jeffrey smiled and waved at the little group.
   "Jeffrey! Jeffrey!" Batty called nearly jumping up and down while Lydia screeched incoherently. Jeffrey chuckled and slowed the car down to a stop.
   "Hey you two, get in!"
Lydia continued to squeal while Batty lifted her into the tiny car and climbed in behind the squirming mass of curls.
They talked excitedly, Batty shushing Lydia and Jeffrey laughing, talking of friends and school and princesses of course.
And soon, once Batty and Lydia had used up all their breath Jeffrey suggested they go inside and see the others.
  As he opened the front door, Batty tugging him along. Jane bounced into sight. "Jeffrey!"
She ran to hug him. "You're here! I thought you'd never come."
  "Yes well-" Jeffrey caught sight of Skye standing on the stairs and abruptly forgot everything else. She smiled and winked. So she isn't going to kill me today, that's good.
"Hi Skye," he said grinning and scooping up Lydia who had been tugging on his legs.
"Hey-," Skye came down the stairs softly. She was interrupted abruptly by Jane's screams
"Ben! No-!"Ben had bounded into the front room and jumped on Jeffrey, nearly pummeling him and Lydia to the ground.
"Woah Buddy, be careful," Jeffrey smiled catching Ben softly in his arms. He looked up at Skye who was laughing at the 3 of them entangled, Lydia and Ben still struggling to hug him.
Once Jeffrey had detached himself from the excited children they all went into the kitchen to find the rest of the family.
The three or four boys Jane had invited over as well as Jane herself were clustered around the kitchen table devouring a bowl of corn chips. Rosalind, Iantha and Mr.Penderwick were at work, busy creating Skye's birthday dinner.
"What exactly are you making," Skye said sidling over to Rosalind and looking over her shoulder.
"No, you can't look at the cake until it's finished! Get! Go!" Rosalind whacked Skye on the arm good-naturedly pushing her towards the door.
"Hey Rosie," Jeffrey kissed her on the cheek.
She leaned and gave him a side hug.
"I'm so glad you're here, I wasn't sure if you were coming after everything." She gave Skye a meaningful look.
"Oh be quite," Skye scowled. She had been fully prepared to ignore and remain angry at Jeffrey throughout his entire visit. But when she saw him, engulfed in her family at the door, smiling up at her, she couldn't possibly pretend that she didn't enjoy his company.
Jeffrey helped the family cook and prepare for dinner until Batty pulled him away to the piano. Begging him to teach her everything that he knew. Because Skye wasn't allowed in the kitchen and Jane was upstairs with her many boy friends, she retired to the couch to watch. Jeffrey taught Batty so kindly, so gently, never getting upset, always Curious and happy to listen. Skye couldn't imagine herself ever being that way. She would much rather kiss Oliver, Rosalind's obnoxious boyfriend that attempt to be patient.
"Do you want to try?" Jeffrey asked looking to Skye.
"What? No." He was gesturing to the piano. "you already tried to teach me, I'm not good."
"Not play, guess what song. It's a game Batty made up." Batty nodded smiling and got of the piano bench making room for Skye.
"Oh fine." She sat down on the piano bench next to Jeffrey. He began to play energetically, each note full of more power than the last. Skye recognized the melody almost immediately, Here Comes The Sun. He used to sing it to her when they were younger, he called her the sun. Skye loved it because it made her feel powerful, she was the sun, she could do anything. He knew how much it meant to her. For a second Skye wasn't mad at him anymore, he was the only one in the world she could see, the only one in the world she could hear.
"Jeffrey-"
"Dinners ready! Come come come!" Mr Penderwick called from the dining room. Skye looked at Jeffrey for a moment, really looked, straight into his bright green eyes.
"Come on." He said smiling " what are you waiting for?" He pulled her off the bench and they went into the dining room together.
Dinner was an eventful time, two of Jane's friends stayed as well as Molly and Tom, Skye's friends. Rosalind's friend Oliver and Nick sat at one end of the table. Skye could see Nick trying hard not to punch Oliver as he talked about the many European vacations he had taken. The Penderwick family were scattered all around the table, laughing and talking happily. It was a happy evening.
After the cake had been brought out, Skye had been sung to and Rosalind pronounced the best baker in all of Massachusetts, everyone began to disperse. Batty and Ben upstairs to bed, the adults to the living room. After Skye had said goodbye to Molly and the last of Jane's friends clambered out the door, Jeffrey pulled her aside. It was the first time they had been alone all evening since the piano incident . "Can I show you something?"
"If you got me a gift, I swear." Skye teasingly punched Jeffrey on the shoulder.
"Well I did, but I think you'll like it."