Follow My Mistake

*This story was inspired by the song above*

*Trigger Warning*

Letting out a soft sigh, I keep my eyes locked to the night sky through the small window in my bedroom. Without the lights from the big city, you can clearly see every star shining brightly, doing its own little part to make the sky look busy yet beautiful at the same time. Something that just six months ago, I took for granted and I didn't think about as deeply as I should have.

Six months ago, I had decided to leave everything and everyone I loved behind in my attempt to chase my dream of being a music producer in the big city. However, the story to chase my dream turned into a nightmare when reality hit me like an eighteen-wheeler. The money I had saved up for my move quick was used up for food and rent, I worked day and night as a waiter in a shitty Chinese restaurant, where I was screamed at constantly by management and customers for shit that was normally out of my control, and the apartment... When I had called about the apartment just weeks before my move, the guy was truly a master at upselling that shit-hole. I thought it was going to be far nicer than it was, especially since it was just some crappy studio apartment. However, for $1000 a month, I thought it would have come with far more than it did. Then, of course, there were the assholes in the city.

The crackheads, the fake homeless assholes that begged for money just so they didn't need to work, the teenagers that were trying to get criminal records before they were even eighteen, and then... there were the racist assholes. Although I had problems with each group listed, it were the racist assholes that did the most damage to me, both mentally and physically. The threats, the comments, the stalking me on my way home, or on my way to work just to take away all sense of safety. Everything just made me feel sick to my stomach every single day I lived in that hell-hole. However, I was still stubborn... I didn't want to give up, and I thought I could have just pushed my way through all of that until I finally got my big break. Then, all of the comments and all of the nights sleeping on a dog bed would have been worth it; and maybe all of that would have been true... if they didn't jump me.

Last month, when I was walking home from work, I was trying so hard to ignore those assholes that were following me that I never noticed any of them getting closer to me. Everything happened so fast, and part of me is blocking out most of what happened that night. All I really remember is waking up in the hospital with a black eye, three broken ribs, and two stab wounds to my back. My parents somehow managed to drive down to the hospital I was in by the time I had woken up, and there was no discussion or argument. The three of us knew that I needed to come back to this small town as soon as I could.

Since then, I've mostly healed up, and apparently word has already gone around that I was back. I've had several text messages from my friends asking if the rumor was true, however, I hadn't messaged any of them back. Part of me didn't want them to see me beaten as badly as I had been, and the other part of me still feels ashamed by my return. Although it was for the best for my safety, I knew that by returning, I've given up on my dream. Everything that I was working up to was stolen from me that night... it's just a hard pill to swallow.

However, it's been a month since I've come back, and I still haven't said a word to any of my friends. No one knows if it's true if I'm back or why, and it isn't fair to them to keep them in the dark for so long. So, after a month of barely even leaving my bedroom, I force myself to get up, get dressed, and get into my car. Knowing my old group, I remember them being creatures of habit. Every Friday night, I remember that they loved meeting up at a diner just outside of town. One that we had gone to ever since high school.

During the drive to the diner, I could feel my stomach twisting itself into knots as I thought over several scenarios that could happen with each person in the group. Some could be pissed, some could be happy, and some would jump in with a million questions over the span of twenty seconds. However, out of every scenario that played through my mind, there was one that hit me so hard that I had to pull over just to cry over something that hasn't even happened yet. In it, I thought about my ex-boyfriend, Brock. He and I had been friends since we were kids and we dated most of high school. Already, part of my mind has started replaying all of the little dates we had where he and I would stay out for hours, just talking about nothing. He's the one that cheered me on when I started getting into music and saved up two months' worth of his paycheck from his first job just to buy me a laptop, headset, and an editing software I can remix songs with. I only broke up with him because I didn't know what to expect after I decided to move to the city. I didn't know how long I would be gone or if I would be able to visit him or even call him. In my head, I thought breaking up was going to easier on both of us... If I had known I would have been back in six months though, I probably would have never ended things.