CHAPTER 9: LOST TRACK OF TIME

It’s been more than a month already, and Ariane didn’t even realize it. She had been too occupied for the past few weeks, and she was really enjoying her stay in Italy with Matteo’s company—to the point that she lost track of time. All she knows is that she’s been to almost every town in Italy, and she’s planning to go to Milan today to buy some presents for Christine and her family—with Matteo, of course.

In the past few weeks that she spent in Italy, there wasn't a single day that she wasn't with Matteo. In all the tours she had, he was her tour guide slash chauffeur.

“Where do you want to shop?” Matteo asked her after he parked the car.

“Any shop will do. Just lead the way, and I’ll take care of the rest,” she answered while unfastening her seat belt.

Ariane was still unfastening her seat belt when Matteo opened the door for her. She did not notice that he was now outside the car.

“As you wish, signora.” Matteo facetiously bowed as he offered his hand to her.

“Really, Matt?” she sarcastically asked, raising her eyebrow at him.

Matteo let out a silly, short laugh before straightening his back with his hand still extended to her.

“I’m just kidding. Don’t be pissed early in the morning, Anne. Just chill,” he teasingly said.

“Whatever.” Ariane rolled her eyes. “Just lead the way,” she demanded.

“Give me your hand,” Matteo demanded as well, but it sounded so sweet.

Ariane rolled her eyes again before accepting Matteo’s hand. Matteo was prompt enough to help her get out of the car. He ushered her to one of the most famous boutiques in Milan.

Like what they agreed on, Matteo just led the way, and he let her do the rest. Matteo stayed behind, silently following her while she focused all her attention on shopping.

Ariane bought every single cloth that captured her attention—from pants, skirts, dresses, blouses... to coats. She doesn’t mind if they cost a fortune, as long as they suit the tastes of the people she’ll give them to.

Ariane shopped from one boutique to another, and Matteo was behind her the whole time, carrying the shopping bags of all her purchased clothes from different boutiques. She just stopped moving to another boutique when she got bored, so they decided to roam around the area after putting all the shopping bags in the car’s compartment.

Like usual, all they did to kill time was stroll, eat a variety of Italian foods, and take pictures until they got tired. And when Ariane asked Matteo to drive her back to the apartment so she could rest and organize the clothes she bought, Matteo obeyed without any protest.

Ariane immediately dropped herself on the bed when Matteo left her apartment after helping her carry all the shopping bags towards her room. And she was about to close her eyes to let herself fall into slumber when her phone rang, making her groan in annoyance.

Ariane lazily took her phone from her sling bag. But her face instantly lit up when she saw the caller’s ID. Then she sat on the bed and answered the call.

“Hey, Tin!” she happily greeted her friend, Christine, who was on the other line. “What’s up?”

“I’ve been waiting for your call. Why didn’t you call me?” Christine’s tone had a hint of disappointment, which made Ariane frown. But everything she felt at the moment vanished when she heard Christine’s next question. “Are you now in Canada?” Christine asked afterwards.

“Shit!” Ariane cursed when realization hit her hard.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Christine asked. Confusion is evident in her voice.

“I-I’m still in Italy,” Ariane hesitantly answered as she bit her lower lip to contain another batch of cuss she wanted to let out.

Ariane wanted to scold herself for being an insensitive friend. How can she forget their agreement? Damn it! Her friend was looking forward to their trip to Canada, and she just forgot about it like it wasn't important. How could she? She felt so awful.

“But it has been more than a month already. What’s with the sudden change of plan?” Christine asked her, still confused with the happenings.

“Something came up,” she confessed, but she didn’t make any effort to elaborate on it because she, herself, is asking the same question that Christine asked her just a while ago.

“What is it? Is something wrong?” Christine’s confusion automatically shifted to worry.

“No. Nothing. J-Just something,” she instantly answered to stop her friend from worrying.

She already felt bad for making her friend look like a fool waiting for her call with regards to their plan to go to Canada together. She doesn’t want her friend to be worried about her in addition to that because there’s nothing to worry about in the first place.

Ariane waited for Christine’s response, but the other line remained silent. It looks like she’s waiting for her explanation.

“Ahm, the truth is... I lost track of time,” she confessed, and when Christine did not utter a word, she opened her mouth to continue talking. “I’m sorry I didn’t call you—”

“Are you having fun?” Christine asked all of a sudden, cutting off her explanation.

Ariane frowned at Christine’s question. “H-Huh?”

“I’m asking you if you are having fun in Italy,” Christine answered.

“Oh, y-yeah,” she answered absentmindedly.

“Good. That is all that matters. As long as you’re having fun, it’s okay with me,” Christine said with a hint of a smile in her voice, which made Ariane sigh in relief.

Ariane’s lips formed into a smile. She felt a warmth caress her heart. Christine is really an expert when it comes to making her feel better, no matter what the situation is. She is the kind of friend who won’t get mad at petty things and who will always prioritize her friends’ happiness before herself.

“Thanks, Tin. You are really the best,” Ariane thanked Christine, genuinely grateful for her care and love for her.

“I know right,” Christine proudly answered, making them both laugh at Christine’s boastfulness.

“So, what’s your plan now? Are you going to Canada or are you staying there for good?” Christine diverted the topic when they both sobered up.

“Ahm...” Ariane cleared her throat. “Is it okay if I stay a little longer here in Italy? You see, I’m not yet ready to leave.”

“Of course you can stay there as long as you want. It’s all up to you,” Christine instantly answered without even giving herself a chance to think about it.

“But the question is, are you willing to give up your goal of visiting every country in this world? You know, you’ve been planning all these things for years and time is limited,” Christine asked her, and based on the tone of her voice, it’s obvious that she already has an idea why Ariane’s plan ended up ruined and why she’s now having second thoughts.

Ariane took a deep breath, falling into silence when Christine’s question lingered in her mind. Giving up her goal in life is like giving up her life. She already planned her life, and this is a big part of it—live her life to the fullest and travel around the world to her heart’s content. Her goal in life became her motivation to go on with life when she was on the verge of giving up because she had too much burden, responsibility, and pressure. When she was slowly losing herself in the process of providing for her family, it gave her a purpose and a reason to wake up every day to work her ass off despite how exhausted she was.

Others might see her goal as a waste of time, effort, and money. But for her, it already became a part of her, and she can’t just give it up that easily—no, scratch that. She has no plan to do so. She already spent four years of her life for her family’s welfare. Now is the only time that she has been able to think for herself before anyone else, and she won’t back down, whatever happens. Nothing... no one can change her mind. So she has to find out what’s gotten into her that made her forget about her plan. She has to find out what is responsible for this. All of these untimely events.

“Hey. Still there?” Christine asked her, pulling her back from her reverie.

Ariane blinked twice before answering‚ “Y-Yeah.”

“So... what’s your decision?” Christine asked earnestly.

“I’ll think about it,” was all she said to limit the conversation.

Ariane wanted to talk to her friend because this is one of the times she needs someone to lean on, but she also needs time and space to think about it. She has to end this conversation one way or another.

“Okay. Just call me when you make up your mind,” Christine answered without any hint of objection in her tone, making Ariane smile a little. Christine really knows when to pry and when to keep her lips sealed. “I’ll hang up now. I still have a lot of work to do in here.”

“Okay. Thank you for your time,” Ariane replied, genuinely grateful for Christine’s understanding and consideration.

“No problem. K. Bye,” Christine replied shortly.

“Bye.” Ariane dropped herself on the bed and stared at the ceiling after the call ended. She was silent for who knows how long while thinking thoroughly about her conversation with Christine—especially now that there’s Matteo that she has to consider.

Ariane’s eyes widen at the realization of her own thought, so she abruptly gets up from her bed.

“The fudge! Why did I think of him?” she asked herself, bewildered at her own thought.

‘Because he’s the reason why you’re having second thoughts about leaving Italy?’ a voice in her mind asked suggestively.

Her memories of Matteo for the past few weeks popped into her mind. And as she reminisced about the moments they spent together for more than a month, a smile crept into her lips without even realizing it. But when she found herself smiling from ear to ear like a freaking teenager who got asked on a date by her ultimate crush, she drastically shook her head to get the image of Matteo out of her mind.

“I already stayed here for too long. This is not part of the plan.” She forcefully tweaked her hair in frustration. “Argh! When did I even ruin my plan? This is a first! And this is all because of Matt!”

It was too late when her words sank into her, and slowly, her mouth hanged open when, little by little, she was able to patch things up.

“Holy shit! A-Am I in love with him?” She shook her head, opposing her thought. “No. It can’t be. I’ve just known him for a... a month. This is impossible!” she tried to convince herself.

‘Everything is possible when it comes to love‚’ a voice inside her mind contradicted.

Ariane forcefully tweaked her hair again. “Oh no... what should I do? This is... fucking unbelievable,” she whispered to herself as she tried to think of a way to fix this mess. But her mind was blankly absorbed by chaos. She can’t think of anything.

Ariane exhaustedly dropped herself on the bed and stared at the ceiling, foolishly hoping that she could find an answer up there.

“What should I do? I can’t just leave him behind. But how about my goal in life? I can’t just let go of it. I already planned everything,” she asked herself while staring at the ceiling without even batting an eyelash.

Ariane’s mind is in turmoil. She can’t think clearly—no! More like, she doesn’t want to choose. Both of the choices are important to her. She can’t just let go of any of them. But what choice does she have? Absolutely none. Whether she likes it or not, she has to choose between the two. But between the desires of her heart and mind, what will she choose? Which of them is she willing to give up?

Whatever decision she makes, she just hopes that it is the right decision. She can’t risk her own happiness by making a mistake in her choice. It’s her first time experiencing this kind of happiness, and the thought of letting it go is frightening. But she was born a fighter, and that’s why she is certain that she can handle it.

A/N: And I hope that I can finish this story ASAP🤧