Chapter 7: Olive

Day 3

Name: Olive Oil
District: 12
Initial Scoring: 7
Weapon Of Choice: N/A
Weakness: No experience in weaponry or survival training.
Judges' Comments: Olive is a sweet girl, whose personality can win over any ally of her choice. Unfortunately, she has no experience in fighting or survival. Chances of surviving are slim.

*   *   *

IT'S been three days and I still can't find Lilac anywhere. I've walked in a straight line since the games began, trying to get as far away from the Cornucopia and the careers as I possibly can.

When I was standing on that platform, I didn't know what to do or what to think. But I knew I didn't stand a chance against the other tributes during the bloodbath, so when the girl next to me said to run into the woods, I did so without question. I felt as though I had no choice at the time, but since then, I haven't seen anyone. I'm stuck in the Hunger Games with no food, no water, no weapons, and worst of all, no Lilac. Lilac is supposed to be my rock, and I don't even know if she is dead or alive.

All the emotions I've kept deep down inside, finally bubble to the surface. I fall to my knees and let the tears cascade down my cheeks.

"I can't do this." I say to myself and sink further to the ground, letting my forehead rest in the dirt. "I just can't."

Just then, the voice of Seneca Crane echoes throughout the arena.
"Attention tributes. It appears that some of you thought it would be wise to disregard our generous offer that is the Cornucopia. Keep in mind that the Capitol does not like to see its gifts go unappreciated. Nevertheless, we can't have you all being wiped out by the few tributes who decided to participate in the bloodbath. What kind of a show would that make? So, it has been decided that some of the items that would have been found at the Cornucopia, will once again be available to you all. But of course, they won't be given freely. These items, including food, water, weapons, matches, and other miscellaneous tools for survival have been hidden throughout the arena. Keep your eyes peeled, and good luck to you all. It won't be easy, but may the odds be ever in your favor."

I pick my head up off the ground and stand up. My game isn't over after all. I've been given a second chance. If I could just get my hands on some supplies.

Suddenly, a new wave of energy and competitive drive sweeps over me. I burst into a sprint, and start searching everywhere for these items. I gave up the chance to play the games once, but it won't happen again. I am determined to find these weapons before anyone else does.

I look in tree stumps, under bushes, and in between rocks, but I can't find anything. Finally, I break past the tree line and find myself gazing into a crystal clear pond, being filled by a large waterfall. This place is so peaceful and relaxing, that I stop to dip my feet in the water. I listen as the birds chirp, the cicadas buzz, and the sound of the flowing waterfall echoes all around me. Wait a second. The waterfall is echoing, almost as if the rocks behind it were hollow. That's when it hits me. What if the rocks are hollow, as in, they form a hollow cave.

Back in twelve, there was never much opportunity to learn how to swim, so I never did. Instead, I cling to the edges on the rocky walls surrounding the pond. The wall is sharp and I cut up my hands pretty good, but I know if I let go I'll fall into the water and drown. My feet start slipping and the jagged edges rip through the legs of my pants, but I continue in hopes of scoring some supplies. When I finally reach the waterfall, I stick my hand through it, expecting to feel open space. But I don't. My hand finds more rocks and frustration begins to build up inside of me. I didn't just risk my life to touch a stupid waterfall and turn back. There is something back here, I just know it. The longer I cling to the rocky walls, the angrier I become, until finally I snap.