Chapter 12: Venus' Victory

Day 11

Name: Venus Kentwell
District: 2
Initial Scoring: 11
Weapon Of Choice: Axe
Number Of Kills Thus Far: 4

* * *

I barely make it back to the Cornucopia when Cavalla comes sprinting towards me and falls at my feet. Her face is smeared with dirt, and the big red hand prints are starting to bruise around her neck.

"What the hell happened?!" I say, trying to figure out why I even let her join us in the first place.
As I watch Cavalla fumble around trying to catch her breath, I start scanning the area for any sign of Iris. "I specifically remember you leaving with Iris."
"It was 11," she says, finally getting to her feet. "She ambushed Iris while we were running. When I realized she was gone, I turned back to look for her but she was already dead."
"Did you see 11?" I ask, knowing I'll be irritated by the answer.
"Yes. I tried to kill her, but she overpowered me. She's a giant, Venus."
"You mean to tell me that when faced with a hillbilly farmer's kid from 11, you can't get the job done? Get out of my way."

I push Cavalla to the side and beeline it to where I remember seeing the campfire.

I run as fast as I can, Cavalla trailing behind me, until I come to the dying fire just in time to see Iris' body being carried away. My heart aches a little at the sight of her motionless arm dangling from the claw above me. Iris was strong and loyal, but most of all, she was a friend. Just like anyone else, she dreamed of winning these games since she was little. I knew this would happen at some point, but I didn't expect it to be this hard, especially when it's someone I was close with.

"Where are you, you conniving bitch?!" I yell at the top of my lungs. There's nothing in this world that I hate more than a tribute who thinks they can outsmart me.
"There," Cavalla shouts, pointing directly across from us. "In that tree!"

As I follow Cavalla's finger, I spot a dark skinned girl clinging for dear life way up in a tree. Cavalla was right, she is big. But given the fact she didn't run after killing Iris, she's also not very bright.

"Well, well," I start to taunt her. "Looks like we've chased this giant right back up her beanstalk. The way I see it, 11, you only have two options. Come down and die with dignity, or stay up there and wait for us to chop this thing down."

For a few moments, she's silent. But eventually, she gains the courage to say something. "If you're so tough, why don't you come up here?"

Now my blood's boiling. No one, and I mean no one, mocks me and gets away with it. I put on a smile and chuckle a little bit. This should make quite a show for the Capitol.

"You know I can't do that. Coming from 11, all you know are trees. I may look like a jock, but I'm not an idiot. Now, you have about 5 seconds to make your decision before I go all lumber-jack on your ass."

I move to the tree and take a swing, just to let her know I'm serious.

"One. . ." I take another whack at the tree, leaving deep cuts in the wood. "Two. . ." I make contact again. "Three . . ." As I raise my axe above my head, the girl calls down to us.
"Wait," she says, and starts climbing her way back down to us.

I step away from the tree, giving her plenty of room to jump down. When she finally hits the ground and stands face to face with us, Cavalla takes another step back, terrified at the very sight of her. I, on the other hand, just grin ear to ear, showing the audience I have no fear.

"Are we doing this or what?" she says.
"I'm ready when you are."
"On one condition."
"Anything."
"No weapons."
I throw my axe to the ground and wave her on. "Let's go."