Prologue

"I want a divorce."

Those were the four words Brittney Jones never thought she would hear from her husband, Eric. He said it to her casually as if he was talking about the weather. She was lounging on the couch, thinking about what to cook for dinner, and he was pondering their separation.

Brittney met Eric when she was a freshman in college. They married quickly and spent their four years of undergrad together. She was thrilled when they graduated in the Winter, with the plan of attending grad school the following Fall. The idea was to travel for the next six months before committing to another two years of school. Their luggage was sitting at the door for the trip to Aruba next month.

"Did you hear me? Our marriage is over."

Brittany wasn't deaf, just in shock. She thought about the past few weeks to see if she missed any signs. There weren't any. They spent Thanksgiving with her family and Christmas with his. Eric's mother loved her and was impatiently waiting to become a grandparent. At home, Brittney cooked, cleaned, and satisfied Eric sexually. So, what was the problem?

Weren't they happy? She thought so until he dropped the next bombshell.

"I'm not in love with you. I never was."

His blunt honesty shredded her heart into pieces. Brittney thought it was something they could discuss, but Eric handed her divorce papers and left the living room. She flipped through the pages and noticed his signature; Eric Jones was already there.

Brittney followed him into the bedroom and watched with teary eyes as he packed his belongings. She begged him to stay and blocked his exit from the room. He didn't show remorse as he pulled her body from the door. Didn't spare her a glance when he walked out of the townhouse.

As days progressed, the realization set in. Eric wasn't returning. No matter how many times Brittany called, he never answered. When she went to her mother in law's house for help, the woman apologetically refused to get involved. At night, Brittany slept in the guest bedroom since it was the only room without their pictures and memories. During the day, she moped on the couch and avoided contact with her family and friends.

Brittany was stuck living in her worse nightmare and wasn't sure what to do next.