Chapter 1: Spring

A/N: Chapter One of my second book in this series. I really hope it turns out well. I have such high hopes! If you enjoyed it, please, vote and comment. Thanks for reading! XOXO

--Viviane15

*Warning: There will be some sexual content from this point to the end of the book. Included, but not limited to sexual terms, situations, and language.**

"Samantha, we're not trying to pressure you--"

"Funny," I cut my father off heatedly. "It kinda feels like you are."

It seemed that every other day, he pulled me aside to remind me how important it was I allow Arrow to claim me or, consequentially, kick him to the curb. We were great. I loved what we had.

"Samantha." He gave me a pleading look.

I noticed the gray hair peeking through the black. That was new. The war was taking a toll on everybody though. I don't remember the last time anyone was carefree. And Mason? He was freaking mess. His mate had been gone for days now, leading his men into battle on the Western Border. No one had heard back yet. We'd sent a patrol unit over yesterday, to have some eyes but they wouldn't be back for a day either.

"What Dad?" I huffed.

"I will be making Arrow alpha, whether he's your mate or not."

My jaw dropped and my wolf fought to get out. It was my birthright not Arrow's! "Dad!" I snarled.

He did not flinch nor did he back down. "No, Samantha. I'm sorry but this pack needs a Luna and an Alpha. If you don't take him as your mate, I know plenty of other females who will."

With that bomb officially dropped, the seasoned alpha turned away from me to go and find Isaac who was, no doubt, training Jackson. My heart hammered in my chest.

This wasn't fair.

It was either loose my right to lead the pack or take Arrow as my mate.

But maybe I was just being stubborn? Arrow was incredible. There was nothing he wouldn't do for me. Plus, he had a huge heart and wasn't too bad to look either. Tall, muscular, put-together, with dark hair, and these incredible yellow eyes... I got a weird feeling in my stomach whenever I thought about him. But was love just a feeling in your tummy? Surely it had to be more than that.

Before all this I had been working through all of this on my own. Sorting through my emotions, giving adequate thought to it all. "Hey Sam."

Mason appeared at the entrance of the room. He was holding the pelt back with an anxious look on his face. "Hey, Mason." I greeted tiredly. "Have you seen Arrow?"

"Uhm, hunting," said Mason pushing to think for a moment. "I was just thinking...have you, uh, heard anything yet?"

I couldn't imagine having Arrow galavanting off into battle the way Garret had. He was strong wolf though, ruthless and bloodthirsty--the polar opposite of how he acted in front of his mate. No wonder Mason looked terrified. "No, but any day now, hon." I told him gently.

Angst marred his features as he bobbed his head. "Mmhm. I understand."

The last battle took four hours. No deaths on our side and two on Northern Skies.

But then again, the journey to the Western Border took at least a day. So travel was two days in total. If anyone was injured or, dare I say it, dead, travel would take longer because they had to rest longer and transport the bodies.

"Mason," I said as he turned to go. "Don't go. Hang out with me for a while."

I hated having to sit here and wait. But my father insisted. "Thanks Sam, but...but there's some more work I want to do to our room."