Chapter 4: Alive

A/N: Here it is. Chapter 4. It seems kind of slow but the tempo will defiantly pick up soon. Uhm...ooh, an old 'friend' is reintroduced (I didn't forget about them). Comment and vote! Thanks for reading! XOXO

--Viviane15

My arms wrapped around myself for comfort as I curled up on the bed.

Mason was gone. I should have realized as soon as I entered the room... They shouldn't have been fighting! How could Garret have been so careless? Mason was fragile, smaller than the others. He needed special handling! How could they just forget about him so easily?! "Sweetie." My mother smiled sadly at me but there was no deep mourning in her eyes.

"How aren't you upset?" I demanded, completely devestated. "He was my friend, one of my first real friends."

"Hush baby. I've lived through many lifetimes. I've watched many people die." I would too, I supposed. But how could I just disregard this loss? Mason had been so sweet, so innocent. He deserved to live a full life. A full, fear-free life.

Plus, I'd never see him again. I suppose werewolves could take solace in the fact that even though they lost their mates or loved ones, they'd be reunited one day, in the afterlife. "You'll meet many new friends, from many new relationships, and it'll be easier. As time goes by. People come and go. It's unfortunate when they go young, before you could really enjoy your time with them...but it's the way it was intended."

Arrow burst into my room looking unbelievably excited. Confusion made me peer up at him. "What?" I sniffled through my tears.

"Mason. It's...he's...he's alive, Sam."

No. This couldn't be true. The doctor said he was dead. I saw him dead. Was this a sick joke? He grasped my arms, pressing his lips to my mouth. "He's okay Sam. He's got water in his lungs, some busted ribs, and a couple of scrapes. But he's gonna be alright."

I felt a small pat on the shoulder as my mother quieted exited the room. "Oh my God!" I breathed, excitedly.

It was frightening how fragile life was. He planted a desperate kiss on my lips, robbing me of my breath. "I...I don't want to freak you out or anything, but...I really wish I could make you mine. Officially, I mean."

"My father's going to make you the alpha." I don't know why it popped out when it did but Arrow started, looking at me.

"What?"

I sat up, wiping stray tears from my eyes. I wanted to go and see Mason but I knew that wasn't an option. The medic was still probably working with him and if he wasn't? His mate would be gluing him to his side. I couldn't imagine being that close to loosing my mate. You know, if I had a mate. "You. Alpha. Get it?"

He recoiled looking a bit hurt. I groaned inward. Great, now I was going to be a bitch. "Wait. I'm sorry," I said quickly, running my fingertips over his jaw. "It's just..."

"The position is yours, not mine."

How was he so sweet? "My dad says this pack needs an alpha and a Luna."

He leaned in and whispered, "Be my Luna?"

My stomach clenched. Uhm...escape? A very uncomfortable silence stretched--far too long. "Don't worry about it." My lack of response made him pull away. "Do you not want to be my mate?"

He looked hurt and angry. "It's just...not that simple okay?" I said, running my fingers through my hair. "It's complicated."

"No it's not!" He burst of furiously. "Since day one of our stupid little 'dating' or whatever started, I kept waiting for you to realize that I was absolutely crazy about you. That all I want in the world is for you to be mine. But it feels like you're playing me, Sam. Toying with my feelings. What exactly do you want from me? If you don't want me, Sam, tell me. I'm sick of wasting my time with someone who can't love me."