Chapter 5: Rouges on the Mountain

A/N: Chapter 5. Here it is. I don't know if you've, noticed (probably haven't) but I've been making the chapter a lot longer than they were in Hybrid. Do you like it better? Comment and vote! That's for reading. XOXO

--Viviane15

>>Image: what I picture the eight year old (Skylur) to look like. [Griffin Kane]<<

The first stop I made once I reached the cave and redressed was to my father.

"There are rogues on the mountain."

He froze and looked at me. "Excuse me?"

He looked like he didn't believe what he'd just heard. "Rogues." I repeated. "On the other side, near the top. I didn't stick around to listen, but they sounded a bit lost."

"So they were in their human shapes?"

"At least one," I agreed. "I don't think they're Northern Skies."

My father just snorted. "In the time of war, you put nothing past your enemy. Isaac. Get Garret and round up a team. Capture them alive and bring them here. Understand?"

I opened my mouth to argue but decided against it. I really didn't think they'd be a threat. Besides. The scent only suggested there were three or four of them. I thought he may have been overreacting. But at the same time, I may have been under reacting which was equally dangerous, depending on who these rogues really were. I bit my lip. Maybe the packs was better off with Arrow as alpha?

Arrow! I quickly followed my nose to the doorway of Jackson's room. His scent told me that Jackson was in there as well. I pulled back the pelt. Jackson's wolf looked battered and beaten as it was curled up in teh center of the mattress. He rose his head, hackles rising, teeth bared until he saw it was me. With an apologetic whine he settled. Arrow who had perched himself on the edge of the bed gave me a cool look. "Yes, Sam?"

I swallowed. When did my mouth get so dry? "I, uhm, wanted to talk."

"I don't know if I'm really in the mood to talk," retorted Arrow. He jumped to his feet suddenly and I saw some blood running down his arm. "Fucking bastard!"

Jackson just woofed and looked pointedly at me. Urging his friend. I smiled in thanks, but really wished he hadn't bit my mate. My mate! "Arrow!" I gasped. Hardly able to contain my excitement.

The now healed bite was fading pink. "What?" He muttered, rubbing the spot briskly. "Ow, Jackson. That really hurt."

"In my head--you're my mate!"

Arrow blinked hesitantly. I knew that it must have sounded way too good to be true. "What?"

"My wolf its...its adapting to yours." I clarified. "Soon, Arrow. I can feel it."

"And this has nothing got do with loosing your birthright?"

Did it? "I really don't think so."

"But you're not sure." His tone was flat with disappointment and anger. "Why don't you come back when you're sure?"

It was a clear dismissal but I couldn't take it. My eyes narrowed. "Why do we have to fight, Arrow?"

"Because I'm tired of loving someone who doesn't have the common decency to care!"

"I care!" I snarled. "And I love you too."

"Not enough, Sam. It's not enough just love me. I can't handle you keeping me at your 'comfortable distance'. We have to be more than that or nothing at all. There's no half-way for werewolves, okay?" He paced toward the door before tuning to look at me. "You said once you turned eighteen. That was a month ago, Sam."