Chapter 3: Void

The commotion drew me to the bathing chamber.

What I saw made me gasp. Adult wolves struggled to get between two battling wolves. One, half submerged in the Upper Rank pool, who was fighting defensively. The offensive wolf, Jackson, was mid-shift, mauling Garret and at his throat, trying to kill him. They'd had spiffs before, but they were doing really well. "Sam! Help me hold back Jackson. Give him a nip to calm him down."

As I aged my venom grew more and more potent which is why I was worried about biting anyone, no matter how lightly. Garret gave a roar as claws slashed at his throat, tearing the skin open in a big gash. "Sam, please!" Moaned Arrow, narrowly missing a swipe at his face from Jackson. What had made him loose control so violently?

I mid-shift, mourning my favorite sweater for a second, before letting my teeth graze Jackson's shoulder. The crazed wolf stiffened, gave a scream of agony and shrunk down to a full wolf, trembling, paralyzed as the small bit of venom coursed through is body. Garret's wolf growled, staying where it was, big front paws on the edge, eyeing the wolf intensely. Blood was pouring from the wound that needed to be treated quickly. "Where's Mason?" demanded Andrew looking around suddenly.

It seemed the omega had been forgotten in the moment. "He never left," Arrow said "He was in the--"

He drove toward the pool, but Garret had already shifted back down to his human form as pulled a very much unmoving Mason from beneath the water. The enemy forgotten in his haste. A huge, purple, blue and red bruise covered his small chest. Garrett's eyes widened as he realized he had pinned the wolf under while he fought. "N-no..." He stammered.

My stomach dropped and dread filled my stomach with lead making it drop all the way to my toes. Mason...wasn't breathing. "No!" the pain filled roar filled the cavern and tears filled my eyes.

Garret laid the still body aside carefully and launched himself at Jackson's unmoving body, shifting in the process. I didn't think, to stop him, I could just stare at the wet, broken body lying there, eyes wide and terrified, staring but not seeing. I couldn't stop shaking.

(Atlas' POV)

I struggled to eat the food my mate laid in front of me for dinner.

He'd left several hours ago and was just returning. He wasn't eating and until he did, my wolf wouldn't let me. His father was sitting right across from me and his dominance was completely smothering. "Eat," my mate ordered for a second time.

His father gave him a look and I quickly shoveled more food into my mouth. "Calm yourself, Rhett. You aren't eating, that's why he isn't."

Relief flooded through me. He understood at least. Rhett gave me a grumpy look and I dropped my head down. Oh no, he was mad. My insides went cold as he stood. "I-I'm sorry," I stammered, fighting every urge to put my hands in front of my face and cower from the rage that'd soon follow.

But Rhett just went into the kitchen and returned with a plate full of food. "Happy?" He demanded sourly, spearing some chicken. "I wasn't hungry was all. Must I really eat for you to be able to?"

"Stop it," his mother scolded him. "You've got a mate now. That means you can't just go running off with your friends for hours and leaving the poor boy here. That means coming home for meals. Next year the two of of you will be living alone."

I felt terrible. My poor mate was being scolded because of me. "I know mom," he said guiltly. "I'm sorry, okay? Let's eat, Atlas. You must be hungry."

Seeing him eating soothed my wolf to a point where I could actually eat. His mother was a good cook. I had good marks in my old omega-course back home. We had cooking and cleaning each day. I was one of the top students. I was lucky to be here--at least, that's what the alpha told me. I wasn't used, like Rhett seemed to believe. I had been kept pure for my mate and my mate alone. I feared my mate of course, but fear is the highest form of respect. That's what they taught me anyway...