Smoke Memories

The cloud of smoke from the long cigar billowed towards her face. He watched her closely as she breathed in deep, her eyes closing as if the toxic vapour were the best thing she had ever smelt in her life.

Truth be told, she loved the scent because it smelt like melancholy. It smelt like repainting an old room. It smelt like wrapping up in the old, tattered blanket you had from kindergarten. It smelt like it smelt with the last boy she had but now mixed with a different cologne. When she closed her eyes and inhaled the smoke she could see her last boy turning into Mingyu. Growing to be someone so much better than he could have ever dreamed. A new boy, a new blanket, a new coat of paint, but the same comfort. A smell that brought her the bad memories only to create new, better memories right over them.

"Would you believe me if I said that I loved the smell of cigarette smoke?" she asked, her eyes still closed, a soft smile playing on her lips.

"Yea," he began, "but it is super weird to me, nonetheless."

She just giggled and let his response rewrite the ones that had come before his. Wiping her memory clean with each puff. She hoped that the smell of his remodelling would linger on her clothing, skin, mind, for as long as possible. This was a warmth and familiarity that she didn't want to ever give up.