thirteen.

LOLA SAT ON the hard wooden chair, with a large thick brown book positioned on the table as her hands wrapped around the cover as she scanned the pages

LOLA SAT ON the hard wooden chair, with a large thick brown book positioned on the table as her hands wrapped around the cover as she scanned the pages. she could barely make out any of the words that were printed across the page as her brows knitted together in confusion. it was obvious that her sister was struggling as well as she tried to read the story in the large book as she put her index finger under the words.

"received." a small child with golden locks corrected lydia with a small smile.

lydia glanced at the child then back at the words before closing the cover, the book slamming on the wooden table as she tossed it in frustration.

"I've gone my whole life without reading," lydia huffed as she looked up at the teacher. "I don't see the point in learning how to do it now."

"It'll open a whole new world for the both of you," the women said, a large smile plastered on her face. "you two are picking it up so quick, your naturals."

"there's nothing natural about this." lydia argued as she pursed her lips in a straight line.

lola slowly closed the hard cover of the book, placing it on the wooden surface of the large as she watched her sister intently. before the teacher could respond to lydia the sound of the wooden door creaking open filled the room as everyone turned their heads towards the entrance of the small building where father gabriel walked in, some other members of the council following in after him.

"we need the room." gabriel stated as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"should they be here for this?" a former saviour, with long blonde locks said as she stared at the two sisters with caution.

lola looked down at her fingers that laid on her lap, averting all the eyes that burned holes into her as she fiddled with her fingers. shortly after they had taken over the room to discuss unknown topics from the girls they had been sitting outside, waiting for them to leave as lydia practiced with henry's old staff.

"your pretty good with that," lola chuckled as she sat on the ground with her legs crossed over each other, pulling pieces of the grass from the earth. "Is probably be no good."

lydia dropped the staff to her sides as she turned to her sister, squinting from the bright sunlight that beat down on top of them.

"you wanna try?" she offered as she held up the stick in front of her.

lola's mouth turned upwards as she pushed herself off the floor, walking over to her sister as she stared at the long stick, admiration flashing in her eyes as she hesitantly wrapped her fingers around the staff.

"it's so cool!" lola said in awe as she started swinging it around in front of her, small giggles leaving her lips.

"you got to be careful not to hit yourself." lydia warned as she watched her sister fiddle with the large stick between her hands.