Chapter Sixteen

Disaster.

That would be the word I'd use to describe myself if I leave the house without having coffee. I have exactly twenty eight minutes left before I have to sign in for work. My travel to the office takes an average of fifteen minutes, twenty five if there's heavy traffic which is a rare occurrence.

It takes four to seven minutes for me to get to my floor from parking. The coffee still has three minutes left before it's done. That's a total of twenty five to thirty five minutes for me to get things done, and if I play my cards right and just drive faster I'd have ten minutes to spare too.

I place the coffee pot back in the coffee maker after I had dumped half of its contents into my tumbler. I put back the lid and grab my keys from the counter, ready to leave for work.

Carter flew out yesterday morning, and based from his schedule , he's bound to be home anytime soon. As much as I'd like to wait for him to get back before I leave for work, I'm already running late as it is.

I open the front door, just in time to see Carter getting off from a cab. I smile when I see him, and he does the same.

"Leaving already?" He asks once we meet halfway through the lawn. His shirt is partly untucked from his pants, his jacket hung over his shoulder.

"I'm going to be late if I don't go now." I say, but still give him a welcome-home hug and a kiss. "I made pasta last night. Leftover's in the fridge."

"You're the best." he says and pulls me closer. He gives me another kiss. "Have I told you that?"

"A couple of times." I laugh. "I really have to get going. I have a meeting with a new account."

"I'm sure you're going to get it." he smiles. "Go get them and come home right away so we can celebrate. We haven't Christened the pantry yet." he winks.

His words tint my cheeks pink and making me shake my head at him  He laughs. I go the driveway where my car is parked, and he follows behind me. He helps me place my stuff in the backseat.

Once I'm seated and buckled up, Carter bends downs on his hips so his arms are resting on the open window of my car.

"Good luck with your new client." he says. "You're going to do great like always."

"Thanks." I respond with a smile. "Also, there's garlic bread in the fridge. Don't forget to heat it up."

His face lights up as if he just won the lottery. "I love you."

"I love you too, but I really have to get going now." I say and push his arms off the window so I could start backing away. "I'll see you later!"

As I exit the road, I can see him at the sidewalk, waving at me. I know he can't see me but I wave back until I made a turn at the corner and I don't see him anymore.

My phone buzzes not even a minute into my daily drive to work. It's Carter calling.

"Hey Val. Don't forget we're going camping this afternoon." his voices comes out of the car's speakers.

"How can I? You've reminded me at least ten times already." I say with a laugh. "I'll be home this afternoon."

"If I'm still asleep when you get back, just wake me up." he says. "I can't wait to see you later, but I can't wait even more to eat the garlic bread."

"You have a strange obsession over garlic bread." I laugh and roll my eyes.

"I have a strange obsession over you." he quickly responds, followed by his laughter that's like music to my ears. "I don't want to distract you from driving any more. Be careful and I love you."