Chapter Twenty- Three

I have an eerie feeling that I'm not alone, and it wakes me up even before my alarm could. My heart rate picks up its pace and I'm nervous because I'm the only one in the house and I made sure to double check all of the locks to the doors and windows last night. Knowing I'm not just putting my own life at risk but also my baby's by leaving a door or a window unlocked made me check twice.

The room is still dark and with my eyes still half closed, I turn on the lights and the room illuminates. I jump and let out half a scream when I see that I'm not alone, my hand unconsciously reaching down to my stomach as if to protect it.

Carter is inside the bedroom undressing, and I calm down knowing it's him and not some thief or killer.

He's not supposed to be back until tomorrow, and I'm suddenly worried that he failed his training, explaining why he's back home earlier than expected.

"Is everything alright? You're home early." I say a little out of breath. I can still hear my heart pounding.

His back is facing me when he removes his dress shirt and tosses it on the floor and he's undoing his belt now. He turns around with a devilishly handsome grin and he crawls on top of me, straddling me with one leg on either side.

Heat suddenly spreads through me, from my cheeks down to my core, when I realized what he's doing. I did promise him all day sex when he came back, I just didn't think he'll want it right away.

"You're home early." My voice is a little higher in pitch, and he smirks when he notices it. I blush profusely. He knows how much he affects me, but I didn't realize he affects me this much. It must be the pregnancy.

Yes, blame it on the human being growing inside me.

It took me an hour or two to fall asleep last night. I was so busy thinking of how I was going to tell Carter about it. I still haven't found a way and decided that I'd think about it today since he wasn't supposed to be home yet.

He says nothing when he leans down to connect his mouth on mine. Like an expected reflex, I raise my hands up to wrap them around his neck so I can push closer to him. He smiles against my lips, his hands reaching down to my thighs and lifts them up to wrap around his waist.

"It's a good thing we can still have sex even if you're pregnant." he mutters when he pulls away from my mouth and plants kisses down my chin to my neck.

I still against him, and he notices immediately, pulling away from me with a confused look on his face.

"What's wrong?" he frowns upon seeing my reaction.

"What did you just say?" I ask, flabbergasted at how he knows about it. I haven't told anyone about it yet. The only one who knows is my doctor, and for sure she doesn't know who Carter is to tell him.

"What's wrong?" He repeats, this time in an unsure tone and narrows his eyes at me. He lifts his leg up from one side and falls to the other, and now he's sitting beside me.

"You said I was pregnant."

He nods and bends down the floor to retrieve his jacket. He pulls out a piece of paper from the pockets. "Yeah, I saw this on the kitchen counter. Didn't you leave this for me?"

I grab the paper from his hand. It's the ultrasound picture I left out last night. If I knew he was coming home today, I wouldn't have left it there.

I groan out loud and lie back down on the bed. Well there goes my problem of how to tell him. He solved it by himself by coming home a day earlier.

"Why are you back early?" I ask with my hands over my eyes.

"I wanted to surprise you, so I told you I'd be back on Tuesday when it's really Monday." he says and the bed moves when he shifts around. He pulls one of my hand away from my face, a noticeable frown on his. "Why do I feel like you weren't planning for me to find out that you're pregnant?"