dErEk: "He"

There's nothing important in school, mom," I shrieked

"That's what your father used to say."

"Just answer me now, please. Where is he? I've been with you for so long and all you keep telling me 'Derek, he will be home soon.'" I tried to mimic her.

"Don't you mimic me like that, Derek" she yelled.

"You never even call him 'husband but 'he'. At least just tell me something. This time."

She kissed my cheek and patted my head and pointed to the picture above my head. It was dad in his dark tuxedo. I always used to think it was his best suit. He had a red bow tie perfectly around his neck, his glasses on and a staff in his hand. The picture was once in his room but since it was the only thing I had of him, I moved it to mine.

"Just get ready for school, please" she insisted as she walked out of my room, intentionally leaving the door slightly open. She came back 5 seconds later and peeped through the hole and said, "You know I love you, hon, and I am sure he still does too."

Not to be bad-mannered, I said back, "I know, mum. I love you too."

I closed my eyes for some time before I finally, managed to get myself on my feet, do some stretches, get to my toilet for a bath and take my clothes off. Wait, you don't have to imagine this part, nothing tragic really happened here. Actually, if you must know...

Next chapter!