dream with me (part 1)

Moving away from her dark past, Lilli finds herself in the middle of nowhere. In attempt to make friends with her new neighbors, she ends up at a lonely cottage at the end of her road. There she meets Harry who has completely isolated himself from the world. This is the journey of two broken souls coming together to heal and help one another 

(word count: 6k)

--

Tearing open the last box, Lilli found herself sighing in relief. Moving far from home, leaving behind a dark past and starting over wasn't easy. Not in the slightest. It had only been three long, hard days of unpacking and decorating her small cottage and she was already tempted to go back home. But reminding herself of the terrible life she's dealt with for the last few years was enough to get her back to rearranging her furniture or ripping boxes open. 

Fleetwood Mac played from the speaker on the mantle of the fireplace as she spun around with the last box to the upbeat song. She couldn't deny the burst of happiness that filled her body with warmth as she walked down the hall to the bathroom to empty the last box of her belongings. Pulling open the medicine cabinet, she placed a few lotions and other necessities onto the shelves. 

She thought about how lucky she was to have found a place as comfortable and affordable as this. The previous owners had decided to move somewhere with more to do and Lilli had eagerly offered to rent from them. This cottage was exactly what she needed. It was secluded, in the middle of nowhere- far from her judgmental family and possibly the worst boyfriend she had ever had. Closing the cabinet, she's met with her reflection. The marks are almost nonexistent and that brings a smile to her face. "Happy looks good on you, babe." She mumbles to herself before she steps from the bathroom and makes her way back to the open room just a few feet away. 

--

She sucks in a gasp as she emerges from the water, lungs burning from the lack of oxygen. Her hair sticks to her face in clumps of wet strands and her eyes squeeze shut to keep the water from dripping into them. Slowly, her hands come up to brush her face clear and wipe the water from her eyes before she slowly opens them. Soft green eyes take in the surroundings of her bathroom. The water filling the tub continues to slosh around her body from her abrupt movements as she reaches her hand out to pat for her towel. The clock on the wall reads 3am and suddenly her body feels heavier than before and her mind feels like it's drowning. Turns out that moving away doesn't solve all your problems and that became very clear when nightmares haunt her every night. 

It frustrates her really. What gave them the right to make her suffer all these miles away? What made them so deserving of her pain? And most importantly, why did she deserve this? She was exhausted and all she wanted to do was cry. The happiness that filled her for the first time in a while had left her almost immediately and it had been a week since. Water drips from her face and falls into the tub, creating a little tune that drowns out the silence. The sound causes her to sit back, her head leaning against the edge of the tub. It's then that her eyes feel heavy, her body weightless in the all too hot water. She wishes she could stay here forever, wrapped in a warm cocoon with nothing to worry about. But any person knows that that's only being full of unrealistic dreams. For good things are nearly impossible to those who were dealt a bad hand. 

Her fingers clutch onto the towel that hangs from her hand as the salty tears start to fall from her eyes. It's moments like these when she wished she had someone to hold her, to comfort her and tell her it was going to be okay. She didn't know if people like that even existed, but damn- she really did hope that they did and that one day she'd get a person who could do that for her. It's what kept her going, in all honesty. It's what helped her sleep when possible and what motivated her to climb from her bed each day. Her problems were rarely with herself, but those she had been forced to surround herself with. Maybe if she put more good out into the world, she'd get something good in return.