2EETH

several types of teeth fascinated me; the cleaner and sharper, the better

several types of teeth fascinated me; the cleaner and sharper, the better. i often compared them too, intrigued by how the canines and incisors of animals and humans could be so vastly different yet so similar.

i was in class, a science class. several of the students were talking or giggling amongst themselves, not even paying the teacher an ounce of attention.

but i, on the other hand, was enamoured. mrs choi, the teacher, was talking about teeth.

i had my favorite 3b pencil in hand, my sketchbook open to a new page as i envisioned how the best teeth would look like.

it had to be one you would like, mother.

incisors and canines that were sharp, but not too sharp and could tear through food without any problems. a set of molars that made chewing easy and fun.

i ran my tongue over my front teeth, thinking and thinking and thinking.

then someone grabbed my pencil, and it startled me, causing me to accidentally bite the inside of my cheek.

'they're a bit too sharp,' i thought. and i was angry, because now my mouth was bleeding.

i looked up and saw han jisung, one of the noisemakers of the class with his three other friends.

"sorry," he said, looking barely apologetic. his words annoyed me and his haphazard teeth irritated me even more.

i asked for my pencil but he wouldn't listen.

so i waited until class ended, before punching him right in his teeth in the hallway.

the noise he made satisfied me, and even though i got in trouble for it, i hope it made you satisfied too mum.

- lee minho, 13