8EETH

hyunjin hung out with me nearly every day for the rest of summer

he was an entertaining guy, only being slightly younger than me, and he knew a lot of people. despite having numerous friends though, he liked spending a lot of time with me, so much so that my dad knew about him even when he barely left the house.

mother, if you saw hyunjin, would you like him?

at around this time, i'd changed the colour of my hair from a dead brown to caramel with some blond highlights. hyunjin was the one who suggested it, and i ended up liking it a lot.

i tried to imagine how chan would feel seeing my new look, or if he would've reacted at all.

i hoped he'd love it.

hyunjin never really talked about his parents, and he spent most of his days over at my house.

on the thursday night a week before august ended, hyunjin was lying on my bed, his eyes closed and his lips in a pout. the moonlight from the windows poured over his face, and when he opened his mouth, his teeth brightened, reminding me of smooth milk.

he asked if i was looking at him, so of course i said no.

"there's a beach party this saturday near a guy's place. wanna come with me?" hyunjin asked, his eyes still closed.

we were super near to each other. certainly close enough for me to run my fingers over his teeth if i wanted to.

"whose party is it?" i asked.

"some guy named bang chan."

i gulped, suddenly imagining chan's face really close to mine. i imagined his lips grazing my cheek, his teeth hard on the flesh.

"do you not want to come?" hyunjin asked, his eyes finally on me. "you should though. you're fucking hot."

hot enough for chan? i wanted to ask, but kept my mouth shut.

i only cleared my throat. "sure... i'll tag along i guess."

i was nervous.

- lee minho, 16