Chapter 1: Axlen

"Hey, Len!"

Len Odinen took a deep breath as her head hit the table in front of her. Her long raven curls fell around her face as a line slowly became indented across her forehead. The voice that called out to her came through the speaker system installed directly to her right. Len was sitting in her office in Stark Tower continuing her never ending work. Thick parchment was organized across the steel desk with two different expensive ink wells and a quill sitting next to it. Her handwriting was elegant and regal; the letters stretched and curled in her own carefully practiced art form under the drawing at the top of the page. Black, dark green, and aqua ink captured the calm, happy expression of what should have been a terrifying wolf.

Her traditional materials stood out against the modern, smooth steel walls surrounding her. The wall directly behind her was pure glass revealing New York City shining brightly below. The flooring matched the walls and the dullness of the space made Len want to scream. She longed for something of refined taste: an oak desk, leather bond books stacked along their shelves, a grandiose fireplace to sit by and sip wine. Unfortunately for her, the man speaking through the intercom system wanted her office to match the rest of the building.

"This isn't your floor, Len. You don't call the shots." Those were his words. Len wanted him to choke on them the moment they left his mouth. The great Tony Stark just loved to have things his way. That included keeping her office out of her living quarters.

"What do you require, young Anthony," Len asked not bothering to look up. Her voice had a silky English lilt; but, something about it was even more foreign.

The intercom system accompanied a live video feed. At that moment, it showed Tony Stark sipping a glass of bourbon as he stood outside on the balcony of his tower. He wore an old, black t-shirt. The arc reactor imbedded in the center of his chest glowed blue beneath the fabric. His dark hair was being blown by the breeze and his jaw line was stubbly, and if Len wasn't annoyed with him at the moment, she would have looked at him and reminded him that appearances are important.

"For you to join me for a drink."

Len took a deep breath before lifting her head. She turned towards the screen and Tony smiled. He was leaning against the railing on the balcony holding out his mobile connector to the building's intercom. Len's eyes finally settled on him. The red line stretching across her forehead was clearly entertaining to him and this annoyed the older woman.

Len Odinen was beyond the Earth's grasp of natural beauty. Her raven curls seemed to always fall perfectly around her pale, round face. Her almond shaped eyes were as black as night and could send any child running away while also pulling in any man or woman. Her eyebrows were threaded, and her lips were naturally poppy colored. Dimples appeared on her cheeks and the corners of her eyes crinkled when she smiled. Len always prided herself in her appearance. She often stated that one's appearance was the most important part of a first impression, thus beginning Tony Stark's love of wearing designer suits whenever he needed to leave his home. He loved to impress Len, and he also loved to praise her.

"Anthony, I told you: I have to write."

"Len, come on. You've been writing since I was a toddler. Take a break for once." Tony shrugged his shoulders. He turned on his heel and headed back inside. Len could hear glass hitting marble followed by the pouring of liquid. "Oh, look at that, a drink magically appeared with your name on it."

"You know nothing of magic." Len spoke melodramatically.

Tony held up a wine glass filled with crimson wine to her view and sure enough, 'Len' was edged into the side of it.