Some Memories Are Haunting

"Some Memories Are Haunting":

The crowd is chanting my name, 'Claire!', 'Claire!', 'Claire!'

I pay no attention to the people surrounding me in the stands, I have learnt to block them out, as I enter the ring on my 17hh Holsteiner stallion, Dark Knight, ready to jump the 1.10m course in the Junior Jumping Championship.
I have never needed whip nor spurs with my beautiful stallion, we have always worked as a team and our winning streak is flawless with 22 red rosettes.

I grasp the reins a little tighter and trot to the judge's hut to salute. As I salute, the judge nods to me and sounds the bell.
Straight away I turn Knight and we are off in a powerful yet balanced canter towards the first jump, a red and white verticle, I make the turn and straighten him up. Counting my strides, 3....2....1 we were up and over! Doing a roll back we then come to a yellow and blue oxer, perfectly balanced for the sharp turn we pace to the jump and land clean on the other side.
After landing I could feel the power of my horse, the crowd was now silently watching me as I went through the course, every beat to his stride - we were in perfect unison. Although the pace was even and balanced, I could feel that Knight was unsure of something...but I couldn't figure out what. The next jump was right in front of us, not more than eight strides out, but I could feel that something was wrong. I ignored the feeling and pushed him on, we neared the Liverpool jump with it's water glistening under the afternoon sun. With only two strides out I knew something was not right but I couldn't stop, we would end up in the jump if I didn't take it. But it didn't matter, I didn't make it past that second-to-last stride because as soon as I realised that something was wrong, Knight's front left gave out and he went down....throwing me in front of him and his rear following behind me, up and over his neck. We both landed hard. I couldn't move, the only thing I could see was Knight lying still, no movement no sound. Then I blacked out.

I jolted up from my bed drenched in sweat. It was the nightmare again, more like the reoccurring bad memory. Tears started to fall, remembering how I woke up in the hospital the day after the accident screaming, wanting to know where my horse was and my parents standing over me with grim expressions telling me that I would never see him again.

**WRITER'S NOTE**
Hi everyone,
This is a bit new to me, I have written stories before but never tried for an actual novel but I will do my best.

This chapter actually has nothing to do with the title yet, it was just the brief backstory to what has happened to the character - who will be explained more in detail in the next chapter I promise!

Anyway leave me a comment, would love some feedback.
Thanks,
TheUnknkwnWriter