Violet

It all starts with the reaping of the 64th hunger games. The district four citizens stood proudly in the crowd, watching their children and their possible district partners. Normally the children would be gleaming with joy, hoping to get picked to make their families proud, however this year was different.

Someone at school had made up a rumor, saying that the games were no fun and they are all being brainwashed by the capital. Nobody thought anything of it and took it as some kind of joke, but suspicions rose when the boy who made the rumor went missing. Standing in the audience was a mixture of teenagers all wondering if it would be them this year. Amongst them was a thirteen year old girl, Violet Hemsby. It was the day after her thirteenth birthday, and she stood there scared. Scared that the rumors may be true, and realising this was real, and she could be chosen. But the fact that her name was only in twice reassured her.

She squeezed her bestfriend Scarlett's hand. Scarlett was the most fearless girl Violet knew, who went through thick and thin with her, after witnessing her older brother get eaten alive in the games three years ago. Silver, the mayor, reached into the glass bowl and pulled out a piece of paper. Violet squeezed her bestfriends hand tightly, as Silver read the name. "Violet Hemsby" she proclaimed, as Violet gasped.

She froze in horror. But before she had time to think she heard the words "I VOLUNTEER" next to her. It was Scarlett. Scarlett laughed and walked up to the podium, and smiled at Violet. Violet ran up towards her bestfriend, but was briefly stopped by peacekeepers. She screamed out but Scarlett said 'Don't worry about me letta' and Violet, hysterical, was knocked out by a peacekeeper.

After that year her life changed. She watched her bestfriend, so close to victory, get her head smashed to pieces by Cashmere, a district 1 career, who was supposed to be her ally. The rest of her friends thought she was crazy, so they unfriended her and never spoke to her again. Just as she thought life wouldn't get worse, she heard a knock at her door, and was surprised to see President Snow. He told her that after seeing her on live television at the reaping, the capitol wanted her for sex work. At the age of thirteen she thought this was ridiculous , said no and slammed the door in his face.

The next day she woke up to see an empty house. None of her brothers were in their rooms, the kitchen was empty and even the dog didn't greet her. 'This must be some kind of prank' she thought, but opened the front door to see a sight she never even imagined. It was her family laying on the grass, with dark red bullet holes in their chests.

The next year was a misery. The only reason she stayed alive was for her grandmother Petal, who managed to avoid the attack because of her status, the old district 4 Mayor. When it was the day before her fourteenth, she spent the whole day with her grandmother, discussing old memories and moments. For once she finally felt happy with herself, and put her grandmother in her bed, quite excited for the next day.

However, this day was nothing like excitement. She ran into her grandmothers room to wake her up but froze when she saw her face. It was a pale blue, all the blood drained from her face. Violet shook her, but she didn't move one inch. She was dead. She spent the rest of her birthday crying and she plotted to hang herself that very night. But the only thing stopping her was the upcoming hunger games, she wanted to see who was reaped, out of curiosity.

When it came to the reaping, Violet didn't care. She didn't care which girl and boy was chosen, she had no sympathy left. The thought of volunteering overcame Violet, but why should she volunteer when none of the fake friends standing near her would volunteer for her? In fact the thought of her getting chosen again didn't even cross her mind, she wasn't worried. But when she heard her name get pulled out for the second year in a row, to everyones surprise, she smirked and strutted to the podium. She wasn't scared. In fact she was going to enjoy the weeks of fame she would have, but deep down she knew she wouldn't make it out alive.