Fools Gold

4 hours

4 hours. I've been waiting here for her for 4 hours in this restaurant. I knew she wouldn't show up, she rarely does. She always makes these empty promises, and I always believe her. Like the idiot that I am. I love her, god do I love her. Her beauty, her intellect, the way her eyes light up every time she talks about something she's passionate about. I guess I should know better by now, she always strolls back into my life when it's convenient for her, just to break my heart when something better comes along; and I let her. Whenever she comes back to me, I fall for her even more.

We've known each other for 8 years. We met at the homecoming football game our junior year of high school. It was the end of halftime and I was walking out of the locker room, I don't know how I never noticed her before then, but once I saw her, I couldn't look away. I'll never forget what she was wearing that day, a pale yellow sundress with a white cardigan and white sneakers, her bright red hair was up in a ponytail. And at that moment - watching her take photos for the yearbook - I knew that I had already fallen for her, and I fell hard.

It's been two weeks , she hasn't answered any of my phone calls or texts. I don't know why I keep trying, she does this every time she finds someone else. Completely ignores me, acts like I don't exist. I know she doesn't love me, I like to think that at one point she did. But I know deep in my heart that it's not true. And yes I've let you use me from that day that we first met, but I'm not done falling for you yet. But I don't regret falling for you. I'm a fool. Everything we had was just fools gold.