Where Were You

They say that even best friends can break your heart

They say that even best friends can break your heart. I never gave the statement much thought, not till now. I always knew that she wasn't a good friend, but I ignored it, because she was my only friend. It started with little things you know. Always having to do what she wanted and  criticizing my clothes. Then it just got worse. Blowing me off for other things, calling me names, talking behind my back. But I still ignored it, because again she was my only friend. But the moment she needed something, needed me, I was there. I was always there.

I stood in her kitchen, arms crossed, watching her plate the food she just ordered. Sushi, she knows I don't like it, but it's never about what I like or want, only what she likes and wants.

"I can't do this anymore." I said to her for the 20th time. She rolls her eyes and looks at me.

"Yeah, sure. You say that all the time. And the moment I call you you'll be back." She scoffs.

"No I won't. I can't do this. You're manipulative, you're rude, hateful, and only care about yourself." I yell. Years of friendship, if you can even call it that, down the drain. But this is what's best for me.

"Wow. I can't believe you'd say that.I'm not manipulative or anything, plus I've been there for you, many times."

Lies, all lies. She wasn't there when my dad died. Or when I was about to lose my apartment, or when I was in an abusive relationship. She was never there.

"Are you serious right now. You were never there when I needed you." I yelled. My eyes were filling up with tears and my throat was getting tight. I can't cry here. Not in front of her.

"Where were you when I needed you the most? Oh sorry. I forgot that you only needed me when no one else was there for you." Tears. Tears fell from my eyes. I can't do this anymore. I shook my head and wiped the tears from my face.

"Lose my number and never contact me again. Our friendship is over." And I left.

As I walked down the sidewalk to the subway it felt like a weight had been lifted off my chest. I felt free. I felt amazing. I might have just lost the only friend I had. But I'd rather have no friends than have her as my only one.