Chapter 9

The three of them were beating their wings so hard and so fast, tears were running out of her eyes from the wind. Quickslayer had a larger wingspan and shot ahead of them. Shadowhunter was right along side Eclipse.

Her heart pounded faster than her wings were going. It wasn't long until they heard a shout from guards behind them. They caught them. No way they could catch up! They were too far ahead!

She forgot that the guards are twice as old as them and probably just as big. The guards quickly gained on them. Shadowhunter let out a surprised yelp as a blast of fire was shot. She wasn't sure if it hit her. Her odd wing beats answered her question.

"Shadow!" Eclipse yelled, swooping over under her sister, supporting her up. There was a swoosh of air as Quickslayer sailed past them. Eclipse looked back to see five guards right behind them.

Quickslayer shot to to the closest dragon, clutching on him, tearing his wings apart. He didn't hesitate to barrel into another and blast the other with fire.

Eclipse watched with guilt as the nightwing with the ripped wings spiraled down to his death in the sea.

There was another shout and a flash of gold and black scales zoomed by them, crashing to a NightWing guard. "Go!" Quickslayer shouted commandly.

Shadowhunter and Eclipse flew awkwardly to the nearest island, landing with a rough crash. Eclipse nudged her sister in a small cave and smelled smoke steaming from her left wing. How she wished she had something cold. Her tail flicked as she disappeared down the slope and to the water. She got a mouthful of water and returned to her sister and spit in her wing.

"Ew! Nasty you just spit on me!" Shadowhunter hissed at her, wincing in pain.

"Shut up! Youre too loud!" Eclipse opened her star speckled wings to try to quiet her down.

"Sorry!" She whispered in a loud hiss. "Don't spit on me!" She demanded.

"Fine sorry." She grumbled not wanting to argue. Shadowhunter often got grumpy when she was hurt.

The roaring in the sky stopped suddenly. There was wingbeats. More than one. Two.

"Is Quickslayer ok?" Shadowhunter whispered fearing the same.

"No." Eclipse shook her head. "He's too good," she prayed she was right.

The two huddled close together and heartbeats later, a large slender nightwing swooped down, the moons shining behind him. He landed with a thud and Eclipse ran over to him and threw her wings around him. She instantly backed away. "Eww all covered in blood! Lemme look at those wounds"

he backed away shaking his head. He looked slightly sad. She knew why. Quickslayer was always so great at killing but hated it when he did. Wait. He hasn't killed anyone before. This was his first time.

Eclipse said nothing and gasped when she saw a large tear in his wing. "Quickslayer!" She exclaimed and stared at it. She felt guilty for putting them in this situation.

What was she thinking? She was an animus. She grabbed the nearest rock and mumbled words to it. She grabbed her brother's wings and slid the rock against the tear. The wound healed instantly sealing back together.

She tossed the rock to Shadowhunter. "Rub it on your burn." She gave a skeptical look but did it anyway.

"There was another dragon." Quickslayer mumbled, fiddling with a stick below his talons. Eclipse looked at him with wide eyes. Was it that flash of gold and black scales she saw? "I couldn't see her well but she helped me fight." His deep voice rumbled. He looked up at the sky. "I think she was a hybrid. She was golden and black—"

"NightWing sandwing hybrid! Cool!" Eclipse's eyes sparkled in interest.

"I think so," he nodded then finally looked at his wings. "Hey. You used your magic."

"It's ok." Eclipse shrugged, grabbing the rock from Shadow when she was done. She handed it to Quickslayer. "Put it in your wounds."

He eyed her but did it anyway and looked at the results in shock. "So yeah. I asked her why'd she help. She said that many NightWings try to escape the kingdom all the time. A secret way but they are eventually stopped by guards so she helps them escape."

"So where'd she go?" Shadow asked.

"She told me to keep along the coast then flew away." Quickslayer said.

"So why did the guards attack us?" Shadowhunter asked.

"They thought we were normal!" Eclipse said as it was obvious.

"We're Royal!" Shadowhunter exclaimed.

"They didn't know that!"

The three of them sighed. Their adventure was not starting off great.

They were quiet for a while then Quickslayer spoke. "We need to find her. We need to ask her for her help. We haven't even been outside the castle. She's probably knows the world better than us."

They nodded. Eclipse gathered her rock, spreaded her wings and followed Quickslayer to the nearest island.