Part 8B

"Uuuum, sure," you say, forgetting the place decorum that Nina hurriedly taught you. The stranger doesn't seem to mind, he laughs lightly at your awkwardness and whisks you onto the dance floor.

"So, you came in the Ketterdam party,"he starts. "What are you doing working with the crows?"

"Uuuum, I'm..." you wonder for a minute whether you should admit your lowly origins at a place like this. Unlike Inej, you haven't done anything spectacular to make up for it. "I worked with the Council of Tides, Kaz wanted help with a plan and I have a decent memory of the details he needed."

"She's far too humble," laughs Nina as she twirls past. "Her memories inhuman."

"So you're a Tidemaker?" Asks your dance partner.

"No," you sigh.

"What do you do then? I mean when you have spare time."

"I used to fix things at the Council but... I don't really have enough time to do anything much."you say, wondering slightly at the stranger's curiosity. You settle into the rhythm of the dance, letting your dance partner lead you so you don't fall over in your exhaustion. When the music fades, you madly think up an excuse to get to bed.

"Uuuuum, I'm literally going to pass out in a minute so I've really got to get to my room now." So much for a good excuse. 

"That's the best way to get out of anything I've heard in a long time." Laughs the stranger. "I've really got to use that one."

You stumble to the exit, this time leaning heavily on his arm.

"I didn't catch your name, what is it?" He asks, steering you to the tower staircase.

"Uuuum, (Y/N), (Y/N) (L/N),"

"Well, goodnight, (Y/N). I hope you feel better tomorrow."

Mumbling your thanks, you race up the stairs to your room, barely making it under the covers before you fall asleep.

Go to PART 9