Chapter 19

Who knew that Jack Frost would live up to his name?

***

The pain in my heart became unbearable; it was as if someone was wrenching it out of my chest.
Tears began to prick my eyes and fall, creating wet, salty streaks on my cold face.
Is this really happening?
This can't be real.
Can it?
I fell to my knees, feeling strangely weightless.
I felt myself trying to pry my eyes open.
Wait. They already were open.
What?

I continued to do what I was doing, immediately recoiling at the harsh light stinging my retina's.
Eventually the road I was on faded around me, swirling into a misty darkness.

***

"Dr Smith! She's awake! Someone, anyone!" An all too familiar voice screamed out. A voice I now detested.
I tried to call out in protest, but there was something over my mouth, preventing this.

Panic flooded my veins. An intense, squirming anxiety.

"Vitals seem to be okay. Jade should be able to go home soon. The coma didn't seem to affect her too badly, maybe just a hindering on reality."

"Oh thank god. Thank you so much sir."

I knew that voice all too well.

A voice I wished I could ditch and forget.

A voice, a person, which I hoped would leave me alone.

So I could stop getting lost in the past.

For the person standing above me, with a malicious grin, was-

Melissa.

***