The Shut-In Next Door

You don't know what's easier: Carrying the boxes, or opening them? On one hand, you're working out by moving them. On the other, you need to organize all the box's contents. Moving is not fun. It's hard, and tiresome. But growing up demands it!

Your new apartment was empty and bare. Boxes upon boxes littered the floor. You remembered to write on them, which was a good thing. If you didn't, then unpacking them would be longer than needed. The boxes with kitchen supplies were set in the kitchen, and bathroom supplies were placed in the bathroom.

Just when you thought you brought up everything, you saw a new box by the main entrance.

"Hm?"

It wasn't a moving box. It was a box from a delivery company. You read the address and discovered that it should be delivered to the home across the hall. You picked it up and transported it to the address listed. Thankfully, this box was smaller than the ones you had. That made it easier to deliver. You wondered what was inside - it was quite light. Eventually, you arrived at the door of your new neighbor. The box was set down, and you knocked on the door.

There was no answer.

You knocked again.

No answer.

Maybe they're not home? Or maybe they're asleep? It is kinda late, after all. You thought. It's best not to bother people. It's even better not to bother people who live close by. You hoped that whoever lives there gets their package. You were worried that all of you stuff would get lost in the mail, or fall of the truck. Who's to say that they aren't worried either?

You stayed in the hallway a little longer. Going back inside of your home meant that you would be cleaning and organizing. A sigh came out of your mouth. You took a breath in, then exhaled. When you were done you opened the door and began your tasks.

The first box you opened had a Bluetooth speaker. It's charger was also stored with it. You found an outlet and plugged it in. After about twenty minutes, you decided to see if it was charged enough. It was. You connected your phone to the speaker and began to search through different playlists. There wasn't a particular song or artist you wanted, so you just let them shuffle.

Your door was closed. But you could have kept it open so you could have a place to put the empty containers; The hallway. You mostly cleaned and organized everything while dancing to the music.

When it was difficult to keep your eyes opened, you gave up for the night. The music was turned off, and your door was shut. You kicked a few boxes aside on your way to your room. There wasn't an actual bed in there. Just an air mattress. You know you needed to set up your bed, but that would be taken care of later in the week. You found it difficult to care about responsibilities at the moment. Sleep was all you wanted.

About ten hours passed when you woke up again. The clock on your phone showed that you slept into the afternoon. You groaned. There goes most of your day then.

"Time to get up..."

Both of your eyes hurt. They were trying to get used to the light. You rubbed them with your hands, hoping that will get you awake. It didn't help much.

"Yet I don't wanna get up though..."

You said that and then rolled off of the air mattress. The blanket you were using fell off with you. You were curled into a ball, your face was almost touching the floor. Your side started hurting you. It was probably because of the fact that you fell. Stupid floor. You thought.

You stayed this way until five minutes passed. The idea of all of the work you needed to do set in. It wasn't a fun idea, but it needed to be done. You thought about how you'll be able to relax and rest when everything would be over. That idea was fun.

With a sigh, you tore the blanket off of yourself. You tossed it onto the air mattress. It hit the object with a noise. You yawned again.

The first thing you needed to do was to wake up fully. You headed to the kitchen and took in all the emptiness. The only thing in your fridge was milk and water. There was a box of cereal in the cabinet. Looks like breakfast for today would be cereal, then. Cereal wasn't always the best meal. Warm eggs or hot pancakes are usually better. But cereal was fulfilling and you couldn't complain with that. Plus, it was all you had at the moment.

After you ate, you brushed your teeth. The smell of mint made you wake up a bit more. You wondered how people in the past survived without brushing their teeth. It sounded kind of gross, to be honest. Imagine people having bad breath and teeth every day. Ew.

You headed back to your room soon after that. You rummaged through different boxes to find a pair of clothes. In the end, you decided on a simple, single colored shirt and a pair of [Jeans or Leggings]. There was no need for anything else today.

You looked out your window and saw the weather. It didn't look like something you would want to go out in. For the first time all morning, you were grateful for the fact that you had no major plans today. Your window caught some raindrops on its surface. Some stayed put while others raced down the glass. You watched the droplets fall. Part of you wondered when it was going to clear up. Another part of you wanted it to stay. Either way, you just listened to the noise as you started to unpack more of your moving boxes.

Nearly thirty minutes went by before you noticed the boxes piling up. You did more work than yesterday. However, you still weren't done yet. There were still more boxes to open, and still more stuff to assign a spot to. But there was so much trash. You needed to throw it away before you sprain something. You grabbed some plastic and bubble wrap and tossed some of into a random box. Then that random box went into another one just like a matryoshka.

Soon enough, you had room to walk again. You moved the trash to the front door. You were going to put it in the hallway so you could throw it away later. As you began putting the cardboard, and other trash, in the hall, your eyes caught the sight of a note on the door.

"I can't be evicted just yet... I still need to know where the closest hotels and restaurants are..." You said with annoyance. What did you do to be kicked out in less than 72 hours?

The note wasn't typed. But the handwriting was so neat, you almost thought it was. It was not an eviction notice. It was a complaint. A complaint about you. Apparently, you angered or annoyed someone in this hallway, and this was their passive aggressive way of letting you know. You looked around the area. Who did I mess with? You wondered. You didn't do anything to anyone. The only person you technically had contact with was...

Oh.

You looked at the neighboring doorway across the hall. Did the person or people living there really get bothered by the fact that you delivered their package to their door? People can get offended by anything these days... You were just trying to do a good deed.

But how did they know it was you? Did they announce that they didn't want anyone to touch their stuff, and they knew that you must have been a newcomer who didn't get the message? Did they see you with the package? Did they think you were stealing? Honestly, whatever the reason, you hoped that they knew that you meant no harm in any way.

You thought about what you could do to make it up to them. Would they like a straight up, face to face apology? Or would they like a gift of some sort? You thought about it, and figured that you would cross that bridge when you got yourself situated some more. For now, it was back to work for you.