Chapter 33 - Friendly

Fred never thought Jamie would be this friendly.

He found himself sitting across from Jamie with a glass of a mixture drink he had offered with barely any liquor. Jamie had invited him into his home and had done all to make him feel comfortable.

It was strange how such a sinister gaze at one instance could vanish and be filled with such glee and joy. He was not even sure if the person that had walked up from behind him in the middle of the night on an empty street, was the same person that ranted on and on about nothing and everything. It had been about an hour since he had been welcomed into Jamie's home and he felt guilty for ever assuming red flags on this man.

Jamie explained that he had overheard Fred ask Craig for the location of his home and from a traumatic experience involving the murder of his parents and people that attempted to come after him for his money afterwards, he was prepared for the worst. Fred did admit that going around and asking for another's home was bizarre, but it was only because Joe had been missing for four days.

And that was when the expression on Jamie's face immediately fell. He almost dropped his glass and his face became as pale as a ghost.

With trembling lips, he whispered, "Joe's missing?"

This was the first person that was remotely concerned and Fred rapidly nodded his head, leaning closer. "He's been missing for four days."

Jamie stayed quiet for a second, as if to process the information he had just been told. He swallowed hard, glancing towards the floor for a moment before catching Fred's gaze with hope. "He must be at his grandmother's house."

"I tried, she said she hasn't seen him in months." He scratched the side of his head. "She wasn't too caring about him either."

Jamie shook his head. "Have you tried all the bars downtown?"

"For four consecutive days, yes." Fred shrugged his shoulders, the desperation in his eyes apparent. "I tried everything."

"Contact the authorities!"

"I tried," he said sadly, exhaling a long breath. "They said they won't waste their times looking for a drunk junkie." He paused for a moment before sending quivering fingers through his hair, "He has a whole stack of reports on him; they won't help him."

"We have to do something." Jamie furrowed his brows, his fingers gripping the glass as if he was seconds from tearing it apart. He bit his bottom lip for a moment before adding, "Have you tried his old job?"

"Why would he be there?" Fred raised an eyebrow. "He quit long ago."

"You're right, shoot," Jamie sighed. "I haven't known Joe for very long but there's no way he goes missing for four days straight. Damn it, if only I hadn't exploded on him and made him leave, it's all my fault."

Fred had no idea what he was talking about. He didn't even know Joe had left Jamie's. "What happened?"

Jamie cleared his throat and placed his glass on the living room table.

"Joe was getting back with Connor, but in the process he was still living here. Connor made these lies about me, saying that I killed my ex-girlfriend, killed my parents and a lot of lies that Joe believed." When he mentioned these statements, Fred inhaled a sharp breath. "It's hard since those are things that I never thought anybody would even believe. Luckily my ex-girlfriend came back about a week ago to prove that she wasn't dead, but with my parents, that's just such a horrible accusation without even knowing me. I had to live through their death once, I shouldn't have to live through it again."

"I didn't know that happened," Fred murmured, noticing the hurt cross Jamie's eyes for a moment.

But Jamie forced his composure to remain, shaking his head and maintaining a smile. "But I was really mean to him and I told him to leave my house. I should have never done that; maybe he would have still been alright if—"

"It's not your fault," Fred reached forward and patted his shoulder. "It's nobody's fault, alright? Besides, we'll find him, trust me."

Jamie seemed at a lost of hope, but after a shaky exhale and another gulp of his mixed drink, he nodded his head. "I trust you." He leaned backwards in his seat and stared at the ceiling, as if his mind was replaying the memories he had with Joe. "I know I didn't treat him the way I should have and I think it had something to do with him being a drunk. But he became so important to me so fast."

Fred nodded his head with a small smile. "He is a character."

"I know I seem strange, lots of people tell me this," Jamie chuckled quietly before a strain smile pulled his lips. "But it didn't seem to matter to Joe. We have to find him, I'll do anything."

Fred knew it was time to leave when his phone began ringing. He tried ignoring it, but it rang a fourth time, then a fifth time, to the point that Jamie snorted. "Are you going to get that?"

"It's my wife," he admitted, reaching for his phone. He realized it was past one a.m and knew he was going to be chewed alive the moment he walked inside his home. "I have to get going, but keep in touch. I'll let you know if I have any lead."

"Here, take my number," Jamie extended his palm with his cell phone. "I'll call you if I find anything as well."

"Text me," he laughed, biting his bottom lip uneasily. "My wife will freak out if she knows I'm still looking for him." They shared a laugh as Jamie added his number. From all these days that had passed, this was the only time he returned home with a bit of hope.

Hope that he had no idea did not truly exist.

The moment Fred stepped outside the door, Jamie slowly closed the door behind him and peered through the peephole before he was certain Fred had disappeared in the elevator. Instantly, he reached for his phone and threw it on the ground, slamming his heel into it and snorted when it broke into pieces.

He walked towards the bedroom and as he opened the door, a smirk pulled his lips apart. "You behaved," he murmured under his breath, closing the door behind him and heading for the closet. He pulled open the door to his walk-in closet and felt an exhilarating ecstasy when he met the large green unsettled eyes. It was filled with such fear but excitement, love but repulsion, and Jamie adored seeing every single one of these expressions.

"I'm glad you didn't cause a fuss." He leaned forward and sent his fingers through his brown locks; how smooth they were ever since he had been taking care of them. "It would have been trouble if you had." He pulled the tape from around his mouth. "I'm sorry I had to put that on."

"He was looking for me, wasn't he?" Joe's eyes gleamed with hope, his breath shaky.

Jamie nodded his head, his jaw tightened for a second as he saw the glee enter Joe's eyes. "Yes, he was."

"He'll find me," Joe hissed, struggling against the restraints attached to the metallic chair pinned into the floor. "I know he will."

"Oh, intimidating." He leaned forward and placed a peck on Joe's forehead. "We'll see when that happens."