Chapter 2

The next morning, I wake up nervous for the day, butterflies in my stomach. I'm supposed to talk to Wes today, but I don't even know how to approach him.

Am I supposed to just walk up to him and ask 'Hey Wes, wanna be friends? By the way I braided your little sisters hair yesterday, and she wants me to be your girlfriend, so how 'bout it?'

I run my fingers through my hair and sigh, but still, I get up and pick out a cute, warm outfit. I actually take time in doing my makeup, because I would definitely not like to scare Wes off with my face, today. I get my backpack together and head downstairs, saying goodmorning to my mom along the way.

"Hey, Ainsley. Want eggs? I'm not going into the office today for a while because Sam is at court so I don't have to be in yet." She says, standing at the stove. She never fails to shake me up with mention of Sam, my step-dad. Just hearing about him makes me angry, and I'd hope that years of crying because of him would cause her to do the same, but alas, she still stupidely loves the man.

"No thanks, I don't really like breakfast." I reply, grabbing a cup and filling it with water. Knowing that with the extra time spent on my appearance today I'm running a bit behind, I quickly drink the water and grab my bag to head out.

"Love you, Mom. Have a good day." I say and get my keys off the table by the front door. I slip on my jacket, and walk out to my car.

Being 16, I only recently got my license, but thankfully when I did Sam and my mom were at a good place, and he bought me my own car. Things like that were some of the only good parts about having that obnoxious man as my step-dad. I open the door and slide in, glad to be out of the cold. Even after living here for my whole life, I've never liked the winter time. There's far too much cold weather and snow, for my taste.

I sit for a while, waiting for the car to warm up before I finally pull out of the driveway and onto the snowy street. I drive as fast as I dare, a rain from the night before causing the roads to be icy. I get to Macy's house, beeping the horn a few times to get her to come out.

"So have you decided what you want to do with that Wes guy? I think we should talk to him, just be nice and show him we'll be his friend, for now. It must be hard moving to a new town half way through the school year." Macy says when she climbs in the car.

"Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. I have first hour with him so maybe beforehand we can talk to him?"

"Sounds good. Man it is freezing, do we have time to stop for a coffee on the way?" Macy has recently started drinking coffee and has it constantly.

I roll my eyes, but nod, "Yeah, you little shit. I really shouldn't be feeding your addiction." I shake my head, laughing at her.

"I'll pay for your hot chocolate!" She smiles an overly sweet smile at me, batting her eyelashes.

"I am totally fine with helping this addiction." I nod, and we both laugh together. A few minutes later we both sit happily singing along to music and holding our warm cups. When we get to school, we sling our backpacks over our shoulders, speed walking into the front doors and away from the harsh cold.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking to my locker was difficult, with different scenarios running through my head of how talking to Wes will go.

"Would you just calm down? Ainsley he's just a guy, and we're just going to talk to him. Now come on, let's go see if he's here yet." Macy says when she notices I'm not paying attention to her.

"I know, he's just really cute and intimidating. You know I'm not good with boys...or talking." I laugh, running my hands through my hair. Macy shakes her head at me, pulling me along behind her to Mrs. Lowe's classroom.