Chapter 4

"Wes. Wes. Hey Wes. Wesley. Wes. Wes-y. Wesley David. Wes!" I'm laying on the couch at Wes' house, with Amber running around singing along to some kids show on TV. Wes is sitting at the other end, my feet resting in his lap, and I'm trying to get his attention. 

"Don't say my full name." Wes whines, his head falling back against the couch. 

"Well then answer me." I say, lightly lifting my foot to kick his chest. 

"We should probably do our homework, now. How far did you get in the reading?" 

"I finished it, I just need to fill out the paper that goes along with it." Wes nods, sitting up to grab his binder. 

"WESLEY!" We're both shocked when Amber screams, jumping on her brother. 

"What the hell, Amber?!" He shrieks. 

"Bad word, put a quarter in the jar, Wesley." Amber emphasizes his name, her face melting into a smug expression.

"Fine." He grumbles, digging in his pocket for a quarter, stomping off to the kitchen, where I hear a clank as he drops it in a jar. That's the fourth quarter he's had to put in the family swear jar, today. "What did you scream my name for, anyway, Amber?" Wes asks when he re enters the room. 

"What are we eating for dinner? I'm hungry." 

"Oh yeah, I can order a pizza if you want. Ains are you staying for dinner?" Wes glances at me, grabbing his cell phone off the coffee table. 

"If that's okay, sure. When are your parents getting home?" 

"My dad has his last patient on Mondays at 6:30, so he'll get here around 7:30 ish. My mom... who knows how late she'll get home. They're doing some huge project right now so she's working a lot." I nod my head in response, grabbing my own phone to text my sister that I won't be home for dinner. 

"Ainsley, do you want to help me make cupcakes? Wesley never helps me make cupcakes." Amber pouts and climbs onto the couch next to me. 

"Sure! Do you guys have cake mix?" 

"Yeah, mom bought some the other day but no one will make them with me, and I can't do it by myself." She explains, standing up and dragging me to the kitchen. I laugh and Wes soon follows us into the room. He grabs all the supplies we'll need, and lifts Amber onto the counter so she can reach the bowl. 

"Amber do you want to help me mix the batter or line the cupcake pan?" I ask, opening up the box of cake mix. 

"Wes can line the pan." She says, turning to stare at her older brother, who's playing a game on his phone.

"Why me?" He says, looking up with a pout. 

"Because I told you to, so do it, Wesley." 

"Why are you calling me Wesley? You rarely call me that." Wes grumbles, reaching his arm around me so get the package with cupcake liners. He walks around to the other side of the counter, and startes filling the pan. 

I hand Amber a measuring cup that I filled with water, letting her pour it into the bowl. 

"Wes, would you like to put an egg in?" I ask in a childish voice, chuckling at the annoyed 17 year old. 

Suddenly, Wes smirks, putting his hands out, "Sure." 

I nervously hand Wes the egg, scared of what he's planning. I look back down at the bowl, adding in the third egg, when suddenly I feel a slimy wetness on my head. 

I gasp, lifting my hand up to run through my hair, feeling the egg drip down my arm. 

"Wes! I didn't do anything to you, asshole!" I shriek, grabbing the vegetable oil from beside me. Amber giggles uncontrollably as I open the bottle, squeezing it so the oily liquid covers the front of Wes' shirt.