Chapter 4

I seemed to be the only competent one in the dining car of the train.

Maia seemed to be giddy with excitement. She talked to Vine, who was also thirteen. They knew each other from school and training.

Only one of them could come home.

I picked my way through a fruit salad as the train raced towards the Capitol.

"You two should go to bed," I said. "Enjoy sleep and warm beds while you have it."

"Is it true?" Vine asked me.

"Is what true?" I asked.

"That you know the President? Maia just told me."

"I know him, yes. Every Victor meets the President. Why does it matter?" I asked.

"Doesn't matter. It's just cool," Vine said.

"You should go to sleep," I said, smiling patronizingly.

"Can I sleep in your room?" Maia asked. There was a splatter of blood in the corner of her right eye. She must have missed it when she washed up.

"I don't see why not," I said. "Go get your pajamas."

I stood, leaving a half-full plate of fruit.

I walked the familiar path to the back of the train where the escorts' rooms were.

My door slid open and the lights illuminated. Just being in the room gave me nightmares. My fellow tribute, Price, had tried to kill me in a room just like this one before we had even gotten to the station. I managed to gouge his eye out before anyone heard us.

I opened the drawers and found a suitable nightgown. As soon as I had changed, Maia appeared, looking like a smaller version of me; same nightgown, same brown hair, brown eyes.

I got underneath the covers and she followed, snuggling up close to me.

"Are you scared?" I asked her. She rested her head on my shoulder. I licked my thumb and wiped the blood away from her eye.

"No," Maia said. "I've been training forever for this. I can't believe it's finally happening."

"Just focus on your training okay? Don't go boy-crazy over Vine."

"Eww!" she giggled. "I don't like him."

"It's a good strategy though," I said. "Act like you like him so he'll protect you. The crowds love lovebirds."

"He'll protect me anyways," she said. "We're Careers."

"Well, Careers starve too. Careers can die," I said. "And I like you better alive."

I poked her stomach. She laughed again.

She was so young.

She fell asleep quickly after that. My eyes stayed open, replaying the events from my own Games.

..........

It was difficult getting out of the Tribute Center at night, even as an escort. The guards were very picky about who went in and out.

Once I finally convinced them to let me go, I made the quick walk to the President's mansion.

I slipped in the Avox entrance. I knew all the hidden spots in the house, thanks to Cori.

There were guards everywhere but they didn't seem to hesitate at my presence; not even when I went in his bedroom.

We'd never slept together; he was traditional in that respect. But I knew his bedroom well enough to walk through it under the cover of darkness.