14

Ariel settled onto the couch at home, the soft hum of the ceiling fan above creating a gentle, calming background noise. She pulled out her phone, her fingers hesitating over the screen for a moment before she started typing a message to Colby.

"Hey, how's your day going?" she texted, her heart fluttering a little as she hit send.

A few moments later, her phone buzzed with a reply. "Hey! It's been good. Just finished editing a video. What about you?"

"Just got home from work. Long shift, but nothing too exciting," she replied, smiling to herself.

Their conversation flowed easily, as it always did, with light banter and casual updates about their days. Ariel found herself getting lost in their exchange, enjoying the connection they shared. But she still couldn't bring herself to tell him how she felt. The words seemed to stick in her throat, a mixture of fear and uncertainty holding them back.

"Actually, I have to go film a video with my friends," Colby texted after a while. "I'll text you back later, okay?"

Ariel's heart sank a little, but she quickly brushed it off. "Sure, no problem. Have fun!" she replied, adding a smiley face to her message.

She set her phone down and got up to water the plants scattered around the house. It was a task that always brought her a sense of calm, the repetitive action soothing her restless mind. As she moved from one plant to the next, she thought about Colby and his mention of filming a video.

Suddenly, a realization struck her. Colby had once mentioned he was a content creator, and he had just said he was about to make a video. She paused, watering can in hand, as she connected the dots.

Finishing her chore, Ariel headed to her bedroom. The room was kept cool by the steady hum of the ceiling fan, providing a comfortable refuge from the summer heat. She sat on her bed, pulling her laptop onto her lap, and opened it. Her curiosity piqued, she navigated to YouTube and typed "Colby Brock" into the search bar.

The screen filled with a plethora of videos featuring Colby and his friends. There were vlogs, challenges, and haunted exploration videos. She scrolled through the list, her eyes widening as she took in the sheer volume of content. Colby wasn't just a casual YouTuber; he was a big celebrity in the online world.

Ariel clicked on one of the haunted exploration videos and settled back to watch. The video was thrilling, with Colby and his friend Sam exploring a supposedly haunted location, their reactions and commentary adding a layer of excitement and humor to the experience. She found herself smiling and even laughing out loud at their antics.

As she watched more videos, a mixture of emotions washed over her. She was proud of Colby and impressed by his work, but she also felt a pang of self-doubt. Why did he want to talk to her when he was so big and important? What could she possibly offer someone like him?

She shook her head, trying to dispel the negative thoughts. Colby had shown genuine interest in her, and their connection felt real. She decided to focus on that instead of letting her insecurities take over.

Ariel continued watching the videos, feeling a deeper understanding and appreciation for Colby. His passion and dedication to his work were evident, and she admired him even more for it. The haunted exploration videos were particularly captivating, and she found herself getting lost in the spooky adventures.

Hours passed, and before she knew it, the sun had set, casting a warm glow over her room. She closed her laptop, her mind still buzzing with thoughts of Colby. She felt a mix of excitement and nervousness about their next conversation, but she was determined to be honest with him about her feelings.

The journey of discovering Colby's online persona had been enlightening, and Ariel felt a renewed sense of connection with him. She knew that their bond was special, and she was ready to see where it would lead.