33

The next night was shrouded in a deep, contemplative silence. Ariel had spent the entire day in her bed, the weight of heartbreak pressing heavily on her chest. The curtains in her bedroom were drawn, letting only the faintest slivers of moonlight into the room. She lay under the covers, staring at the ceiling, her mind a swirling mix of sadness and anger.

Her thoughts kept circling back to Colby's advice. The idea of burning away the past, of creating a symbolic end to her memories with Bradley, had taken root in her mind. It was a radical idea, but it felt oddly fitting given the intense emotions she was grappling with.

Eventually, Ariel decided she needed to act on the impulse that had taken shape in her mind. She rolled out of bed, her movements slow and deliberate. The house was quiet, save for the soft hum of the refrigerator and the occasional creak of the floorboards. She padded through the hallway to the kitchen, her thoughts focused on the plan she had formed.

In the kitchen, she opened the junk drawer, her hands moving methodically among the clutter of old batteries, expired coupons, and stray screws. After a moment of searching, she found what she was looking for: a small box of matches. She slid it into the pocket of her sweatpants, feeling a strange sense of determination wash over her.

With the matches securely in her pocket, Ariel made her way to the garage. The space was filled with boxes of old belongings, forgotten furniture, and dusty tools. The scent of sawdust and oil lingered in the air, adding to the somber mood. Ariel paused for a moment, her eyes scanning the cluttered space.

Taking a deep breath, she pulled out her phone and dialed Colby's number. The phone rang a few times before Colby's familiar voice answered, warm and concerned.

"Hello?" Colby said, his tone filled with genuine curiosity.

Ariel took a deep breath, her voice trembling with the weight of her emotions. "I'm going to burn it all down," she said simply, her words carrying the gravity of her intent.