13

Ariel's shift at The Book Nook had been especially long today. It was one of those days where time seemed to stretch and bend, making the hours feel like days. As the evening drew near and the last few customers trickled out, Ariel found herself finally able to relax. She sighed in relief and leaned against the counter, glancing around the store.

Salem had already curled up in his usual spot by the window, his tail twitching occasionally as he dozed. Ariel smiled at the sight of him, feeling a sense of contentment.

With the store now quiet, Ariel decided to browse through the shelves to find her next read. She had just finished her current book and was eager for something new. She wandered through the aisles, her fingers trailing along the spines of various novels, feeling the familiar comfort of the books surrounding her.

As she perused the shelves, the bell above the door jingled, signaling the arrival of a customer. Ariel turned to see Mr. Thompson, a regular at The Book Nook. He was a sweet old man with a kind smile and a twinkle in his eye. He had been coming to the bookstore for years, always looking for the next great read.

"Good evening, Mr. Thompson," Ariel greeted warmly. "How are you today?"

"Good evening, Ariel," he replied, his voice gentle and warm. "I'm doing well, thank you. How about yourself?"

"I'm doing alright," she said with a smile. "Would you like a cup of tea? It's been a long day, and I think we could both use one."

"That sounds lovely," Mr. Thompson agreed.

Ariel led him to the small seating area at the back of the store, where a cozy corner with a few chairs and a table awaited. She quickly prepared a pot of tea, and soon they were both seated with steaming cups in hand.

"So, Mr. Thompson, what brings you in today?" Ariel asked, genuinely curious.

"Oh, just looking for something new to read," he said, taking a sip of his tea. "But I must say, it's always a pleasure to see you and chat for a bit."

Ariel smiled, feeling a warmth in her heart. She had always enjoyed her conversations with Mr. Thompson. They talked about books, life, and everything in between. Today, though, she felt a need to share something more personal.

"Mr. Thompson, can I ask you for some advice?" she asked hesitantly.

"Of course, my dear," he replied, his eyes full of understanding. "What seems to be on your mind?"

Ariel took a deep breath, gathering her thoughts. "There's this guy, Colby. We've been spending time together, and I think I might have feelings for him. But I'm not sure what to do about it. It's all so new and confusing."

Mr. Thompson listened intently, nodding as she spoke. When she finished, he set his cup down and looked at her with a gentle smile.

"Ah, young love," he said with a hint of nostalgia. "It can be both exhilarating and terrifying, can't it?"

Ariel nodded, feeling a sense of relief at his understanding.

"Let me tell you a story," Mr. Thompson began, his eyes taking on a distant look. "When I was a young man, there was a girl named Sally. She was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen, and I had feelings for her from the moment I met her. But I was too shy, too scared to tell her how I felt."

He paused, taking another sip of his tea before continuing. "Sally started dating someone else, and I eventually did too. Life went on, but I never forgot about her. One day, Sally broke up with her boyfriend. She realized what she had been missing all along. She found me and told me how she felt. It was a shock, but also a revelation."