.02 escapism (courtney)

Trigger Warning: This capture is rated R for mature themes (abuse, violence).

***

"Courtney, can you go organize the new shipment boxes before your shift ends?" her manager called out.

Her teeth clenched with frustration, "Sure."

The only relieving part about today was that she was going to call Dames after her shift. The pharmacy was so draining. She didn't want to seem ungrateful - after all, having a steady income was tough to come by with no degree or networking connections. But after months of late nights, impatient customers, and a micro-manager of a boss, the burnout was too real.

She sighed, making her way over to the 6-foot stack of cardboard boxes by the exit. She reached for the top box, standing on her tiptoes to reach the top. After clasping the edge, she lowered the shipment, and read the label. Vitamins.

"Aisle 3," she muttered to herself, transporting the package in the process. The cycle continued.

The monotony of her work allowed her mind to wander a bit more. The clock read 9:50. She only had 10 minutes left.

Excitement bubbled in her chest at the thought of speaking with Damien. It had been a few months since they last spoke. He was a hotshot in LA, and hard to get a hold of. Ever since he booked So Random!, he rarely came back to their hometown. There was always a press release, or interview, or some cast meeting he had to get to.

Courtney treasured the little time they did get to spend together. She still remembered the first time he booked an audition - it was community theater in their hometown. Damien got cast as Oliver Twist, and Courtney was a peasant in the ensemble. She didn't mind though. He was always more of a star than she was.

A few years later, he starred as Tony in their freshman year production of West Side Story. She recalled sitting in the lighting booth on opening night, lowering the spotlight onto him as he sang the sweet words of "Something's Coming". It was majestic. Regal.

That same night, he was whisked by some fancy casting agent and transferred to be homeschooled. She couldn't have been prouder. 

Her heart panged at the thought of her best friend leaving her, but he was always destined for something bigger than their hometown. Los Angeles welcomed him soon after. So began their best friendship across hundreds of miles and states. Thank goodness for Facetime.

With the last of the boxes organized in the backroom, Courtney quickly clocked out and bid goodbye to her colleagues. Her work uniform was haphazardly stuffed into her purse as she briskly walked out outside. The sterile smell of medication was soon replaced with some odd combination of gasoline and fresh air.

Ah, suburbia.

Quick hands pulled out her iPhone and plugged in her headphones so she could catch up with Damien while she waited for her ride. Her hourly wage didn't cut it for a car, but she didn't mind. It wasn't like she had many places to go outside of her 80 hour weeks. And her rent was already way too pricey for her liking. She and her boyfriend David could barely split the difference.

The dial tone trilled through her headphones, and only a few moments later, her friend's familiar baritone voice echoed through the line.

"Hey, Court Bourt!" greeted an enthusiastic voice.

"Dames! It's so good to hear from you. How are you?"

"I'm okay. Trying to catch a breath in between projects. You know the drill," he chuckled.

Courtney sensed wavering in his tone. He was off, though she couldn't be sure why. Damien was usually so chipper and eager to tell her about his adventures. This time, he brushed things off nonchalantly. She was worried.