001 ჻ 𝘼𝙐𝙂𝙐𝙍

[ tw: blood & gore ]

SHIGANSHINA DISTRICT
(クロルバ区)
WALL MARIA, YEAR 841

══════════════════

THUMP. THUMP. THUMP.

An earthquake?

A dreadful sound torments all foreseeable land. The whole world utters a great cry. Wide heaven, shakens, groans. From its foundation, far Earth reels. Beneath the onrush of the deathless gods, and trembling seizes upon red Surtur.

Flames. Everything is up in flames.

What is happening, why am I in Hell?

Just wake up, Thalia.

Just as she was about to walk around the conflagrated place, a sudden pang of realization strikes her.

She's not alone. Standing up, she spots a hooded figure.

Who are you? Where am I? She cries.

The hooded figure, however, does not spare her a glance. Instead, it points to a far-flung distance, and what she sees next terrifies her whole actuality.

Bodies. Bodies of people. There are bodies everywhere.

Chills ran over her spine, there is blood splattered throughout. The entirety of this place is extremely unappealing. Tears form in her eyes as she desperately pleads herself to wake up. She examines each body in her surroundings, and then she sees the body of a certain electric blonde-haired woman. It was her mother's.

Gasping for air, Thalia jolts awake from her horrendous slumber, beads of sweat trickling on her face. When she turned 6 years old, she has been constantly experiencing nightmares. It almost came to the point where having night terrors is just a regular thing to happen to her.

For the past few days, in three consecutive nights, Thalia has been having a glimpse of the very same nightmare. The only difference is, this time, the bodies of the dead are present. Her mother is present. Her mother's dead body is present.

And it has only been a month after her mother's funeral.

One day, Thalia had a very bad dream. Her mother insisted to sleep with Thalia on her bed, and she happily agreed. In the morning, she regret peacefully sleeping that night, for she expected her mother to wake her up, yet she only found her lifeless body lying next to her. And that was the most traumatizing moment that has ever happened to her yet.

She died on her sleep. She died by my side.

To see her dead was to die herself. There was no her without her mother, no life after her warmth. She has been her all, her raison d'être, and existing when she no longer does ruptures her head in a way that would never recover.

Because of that, she refuses to sleep on the same bed again.

She slowly brings her palms to her face to weep, yet no tears pour over her eyes. Her lips and throat is arid and drought, in dire need for a glass of water.

I'm tired. Why can't I just sleep in peace?

Thalia pushes herself out of the couch, and goes straight to the bathroom to dampen her face. She eyes herself in the mirror and realizes the dark black circles forming under her icy blue eyes. I'm a mess, she thinks to herself. Before leaving the room, she grabs a book and placidly makes her way to the kitchen to guzzle a glass of water.