006 ჻ 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙒𝙄𝙉𝙂𝙎 𝙊𝙁 𝙁𝙍𝙀𝙀𝘿𝙊𝙈

[ contains profanity ]

══════════════════

IN A FIELD that has observed years of war lies cold corpses, and still, the blades are cutting without stop, and without a single witness.

SOUTHERN SHIGANSHINA DISTRICT
(クロルバ区)
WALL MARIA, YEAR 844
TWO MONTHS AFTER HER ARRIVAL

"Thirty seconds to gate opening!"

The bell rings in a peal. Normally to her, this would signal a wedding or a Sunday service. Yet it is different and the clanging that echoes through the village is worrisome rather than melodic.

"Humanity is now about to take another step forward!"

All the reasons not to do this come flooding in, as if her body chemistry just sent them a blanket invitation. She feels the soft panic that can grow or fade depending on what she does next. It will fade if she backs away, but then she has to do this all again another time.

It will grow if she lets these thoughts swirl into a vortex of stupidity, eating their own tail. Or she can breathe real slow, let the thoughts leak into the ether and be the real boss of her.

Suddenly all her preparations flee her mind like scared children. Part of her is screaming to turn around, but she knows better than that.

She chooses this path.

She offers her heart, and she'll fulfill her duty until the very end.

This is her purpose.

"Open the gate!"

All she could hear are the stocky limbs of the horses moving faster than she would have thought possible. The soft spring soil is no match for their hooves and in their wake sods are flying in an arcing spray.

"Thalia! Focus on the mission! Heads up!" Klaus shouts beside Thalia. Their squad is positioned behind the command team. The long-range scouting formation they contrived is repudiated by the higher-ups, making her more edgy than her envisage.

"Remember the plan! Always be on guard!" Thalia hears her Squad Leader shouts upfront.

"Yes, sir!" Thalia replies, gripping her horse's rein very tight.

Not long enough, they entered through a forest where they are originally planning to construct a base.

The forest hums with life all around her. Her eyes twirl about, gazing up at the trees, searching for the birds that sing sweetly. The sun breaks through the cracks, lighting up the dirt path ahead of them, decorated with outgrown roots, wildflowers and fallen leaves.

"All soldiers, prepare for battle!"

She is suddenly reminded that the forest is one of those places which had no palpable reason to exist. It is a creaking shack created by nature to serve as a reminder that things could always be much, much worse.

"We have one target, we will slay them and claim this area as humanity's stronghold beyond the walls!" Commander Shadis yells.

"Target approaching!" Erwin calls out.

Shit, that's a titan?

"Split into groups, just as we practiced! All assault squads, switch to omnidirectional gear!"