003 ჻ 𝙁𝙊𝙉𝙎 𝙀𝙏 𝙊𝙍𝙄𝙂𝙊

[ tw: suicide | contains profanity ]

══════════════════

CONUNDRUM, that's what all she can think of as of the moment. If truth be told, the reason for her father's death still persists as a mystery. She knows for a fact that her father would not do such a thing, because she knows him.

Or does she?

"Thalia Emersyn," a member of the Military Police calls her out of her daze.

"Uh. . . yes?" She blinks and faced the man.

"May I ask. . . Had your father showed some signs of hopelessness, or. . . loss of interest in daily activities of some sort?" The man walks up to her.

Thalia just stares back at him, disconcerted. She knows very well where this conversation is leading to.

"No," she states impassively. "If you're implying that he took out his own life, you're wrong. Suchlike action seems ambiguous to me. I know him more than anyone. I already told you his last words as well."

"Miss, I apologize for the frankness, but that's what the reports concluded. The forensics team took everything into account. Paramedics, and other support personnel had already communicated at each other and compared it with the decedent's body data and had already determined that there are no any discrepancies." the man states.

Well then, if the case is reported as suicide, then the police officers who respond as well as the investigators automatically tend to treat the call as a suicide. Right? I mean, I think it is a critical error in thinking to handle the call based on the initial report. Walls, assuming the death to be a suicide case, when in fact this is a basic death investigation, which could very well turn out to be a homicide!

"Oh." That's what all she can say regardless of the maelstrom of doubt in her mind. She has no power to debrief the man, nor the reports. She's no pundit, and she's too enervated to debunk the records.

The course of the conversation turns her to trail her new additional aim.

To seek the truth prior to his father's death.

She'll do it. Once she becomes a soldier.

══════════════════

"The 102nd Cadet Corps Class entrance ceremony will now begin!" The guy upfront the open field shouts.

"My name is Claude Duvalier, and I'm your commandant! I do not welcome you warmly! In your current state, you'd be nothing but food for the titans! You're mere livestock! You're less than livestock! "

"Over the next three years, we're going to train you, you worthless pukes and teach you how to fight the Titans!" He scowls at the cadets.

"Three years from now, when you come face-to-face with the titans, will you still be fodder for them? Will you serve as an honorable barrier that protects the king, or will you be a glorious soldier for humanity that drives the titans out? It's up to you to decide!"

The commandant then starts to interrogate the cadets, thinking of it as a rite of passage.

"You!" Claude Duvalier stands in front of Thalia.

"Sir!" Thalia responds while saluting.

"Who are you?!" the commandant shouts.

"Thalia Emersyn, from Shiganshina District!" she answers with assertiveness.