Chapter 5: Loving Acceptance

(Hi everyone! Thanks for almost 900 reads!! I love you guys so much! I hope you like this chapter! I initially said this was gonna be the last one, but it got too long so I split it here so you guys could read something today! Hope you like it <3)

Without warning, Ludwig leapt high up above the platform. He crossed his arms and concentrated very hard. He then released them and felt his body separate as magic surged through him. Two clones of Ludwig appeared beside him.

"Mama mia," Mario exclaimed as Ludwig and his surrounding clones shot bursts of projectiles at him midair. His ice flower vanished as one landed a direct hit on him. The three soon landed back down on the platform. Mario quickly leapt in the air, but his feet came down on a clone and it disappeared, the other one following, and the real Ludwig flutter-jumped away just as Mario began to charge at him. He touched down seconds later and effortlessly fired another burst of projectiles, but Mario nimbly dodged them and managed to stomp on Ludwig's head.

Ludwig let out a pained grunt and retreated to his shell. Mario dodged Ludwig's shell as he spun back and forth across the platform, carefully mapping out the edges so he didn't fall off. Get it together, damnit! You WILL NOT let this mustached dimwit defeat you again!

Ludwig finally emerged from his shell, and prepared himself for his next attack. Once again, he concentrated magic with his arms, then projected a clone out on each side of him. Both clones shot two projectiles, while the real Ludwig shot three. Mario used the differing number of projectiles to determine which Ludwigs were clones and which one was real, but he was a bit too late, because a clone had landed upon his head as he figured it out. He winced as he shrunk down to an incredibly small size, alarm and pain searing through him.

Ludwig's clones vanished, and the real Ludwig flicked another set of projectiles at the now-minuscule, stunned Mario, who came to just in time to leap out of the way. Ludwig then jumped up and over Mario, his feet pedaling as he attempted to stay airborne, and Mario watched him intensely, calculating where Ludwig would land. Ludwig began to descend, and Mario positioned himself directly under Ludwig's feet. Ludwig looked down and smirked. Tchüss, Mario...

Ludwig's feet landed upon his platform. He blinked in realization. What the-

Mario has stepped out of the way at the last second and leapt into the air. His feet came down on Ludwig's head.

Ludwig nearly doubled over in unexpected pain. A pitiful groan emerged from his throat and he forced his body into his shell.

Gyah, that fucking bastard! I need to find a way to stop him! Ludwig's shell whizzed back and forth across the platform, and Mario's nimble dodges had become sloppier and rushed as he tired out. Ludwig soon came out of his shell, his breath heavy and his mind spinning. I'm not strong enough to perform a different attack, but this will have to do. His game ends NOW.

Once more, Ludwig jumped to the middle of the platform and hovered in the air. He clung to himself tightly and squeezed his eyes shut, concentrating every last bit of magic and power through his weakened body and to his arms, which he then separated to send out two clones to flank him. Mario looked up at the real Ludwig, which he knew was in the center. Suddenly, all three Ludwigs shuffled their positions. They had all switched places with one another, fired a burst of projectiles, switched back, then switched again and fired even more projectiles. And even so, Mario, who was visibly confused, was able to dodge them with great care.

How the hell does he keep dodging these? Ludwig thought to himself. Damnit, I can't hold this any longer! Ludwig fell from the air and landed back on the platform, his two clones disappearing midair. Ludwig's breath hitched for a moment as he struggled to keep his balance, and he tried to focus as his heart pounded and his head screamed KILL MARIO. And as Mario charged at him, Ludwig used every last remaining bit of strength he had to jump over him. He could barely flutter, and consequently descended very fast. With a flick of his wrist, he sent a royal blue projectile straight at Mario. However, Mario was able to dodge the attack yet again, and he leapt into the air.