Eighteen

Demi's POV

"Demi, why do we need to go shopping?" Sierra asked as I drove to the mall.

"Your room is completely plain. Besides, all of your clothes fit in one bag." I glanced over at her quickly before returning my eyes to the road. "Sierra, if you don't like shopping, we don't have to."

"It's just that I don't want you spending a bunch on me. I'm not that important." She mumbled the last part. It was just loud enough for me to hear. It was obvious that she didn't want me hearing the last part, so I didn't say anything about it.

"I told you, you're my responsibility now. I have more than enough money. Now I have someone other than myself to spend it on. Honestly, I want to do this."

She gave me a half smile. "Okay, thanks." I nodded as we pulled into the parking lot of the mall. We both got out of the car and started walking in.

"Demi," Sierra said, slowing down.

"Yeah?"

"All those people are going to see my bruise."

"What bruise?" I asked, but I knew what she was talking about.

"The one on my face."

"Uh-huh," I started, crossing my arms. "I thought you said that was a birthmark," I said with raised eyebrows. I saw you face drop with guilt. "Don't worry, I knew it was a bruise to begin with."

"You did?" Sierra asked surprised.

I nodded. "It's been fading day-by-day. And don't worry about these people. No one is going to know you." It's true. We've flown a long way from where she lived before.

"But aren't you famous?" She asked. I shrugged my shoulders and nodded. "Won't people take pictures?"

"Honey, you have nothing to worry about. That bruise could have come for various reasons." Sierra dropped her head, still not wanting to be seen. "Okay, how about if a picture of you ends up on the internet somewhere, then I will clarify and say it's stage make-up. It was for a dress-rehearsal for like a school play or something."

"Will people believe it?"

"I'm pretty sure. There's nothing to worry about. Besides, people won't stare at you for that. Your whole face is too pretty to overlook." She shrugged, and I took her hand and led her into the mall. "Now, where should we start?" I asked.

"Uhmm," Sierra said, scanning the mall.

"Bedding?" I suggested.

"Sure," she said with a small smile. We walked into a home-decor store and started looking around. We found bedding and a few smaller furniture pieces, sense she already had a dresser and night-stand. Next, we went into various clothing stores. She looked like she had a lot of fun just looking at clothes and trying them on. In just a few hours, our arms were full of bags.

"How about we stop for lunch?" I suggested. "Look, there's the food court." I pointed to the food court and started walking before she had the chance to respond to my question. "You are eating, so what do you want?" I asked, not giving her the option to back out.

"Uhmm," she said, scanning the food court and seeing her options. "Subway?"

I smiled down at her. "Great choice. Come on." I led her to the Subway and we waited in line for a while. Then, we were finally able to find a table to sit at.

Sierra's POV

As I ate with Demi, I couldn't help but feel like there were eyes constantly on me. I felt like everyone was watching me get fatter and fatter with each bite. I made sure I finished my sandwich before Demi so she wouldn't be waiting very long for me. "I have to use the restroom," I said as soon as I swallowed my last bite. I quickly got up and headed toward the restroom. I felt bad for wasting the food that Demi just bought me, but I let breakfast settle, and I'm not making that same mistake twice in a row.

Demi's POV

I watched as Sierra quickly rushed to the bathroom. Having to go to the bathroom immediately after every time she ate? The worst case scenario fled through my mind. I prayed that it wasn't true as I walked to the bathroom myself. I slowly opened the door and spotted someone on their knees in one of the stalls. The sound of her gagging broke my heart. Why is she doing this? What has society become when eleven year old's are doing this to themselves? No one should ever, ever feel this need, especially someone as young as Sierra. I saw her stand to her feet and listened as she flushed the toilet. She stepped out and immediately spotted me. Her eyes were wide as she stared at me standing in the doorway.

Happy New Year! I'm hoping you all have a fantastic and SAFE year. Thanks for reading!