34. Dean

Mahi's POV

It's been a week since my accident but I am still on the couch in the living room. I have watched a lot of movies but now I am tired of them. Lying on this couch doing nothing is more tiring than all the chores I do.

They don't let me touch any work. I haven't even gone to school since then. The boys don't leave me alone for a single second. Even on school days, someone stayed with me or Mom used to come to take care of me.

Sam stayed at our place more than his. He's grown really protective of me these days. Now, every day I sleep with Sam and Ed besides me and on rare cases Dean too.

Alex is too busy with his work. He is working late daily and sometimes leaves home before anyone wakes up. He rarely eats at home and had grown bags under his eyes. In the beginning I thought it was because he wanted to avoid me but now it seems real.

Ed and I had bonded really well. We talked a lot and at moments it felt like we were living with each other always.

Dean is still avoiding me, whenever I try to talk to him he gives me a cold shoulder. All of efforts to get him to talk to me went in vain. He even came home super drunk 3 times this week, one being yesterday.

He came downstairs with his t-shirt half tucked in, messy hair and a really grumpy face. He was hungover badly. Making a coffee for himself, he got seated in one of the chairs. I walked over to him and gave him a painkiller with a glass of water. He grumpily took it and swallowed it.

"You know, people generally say thank you when someone helps them." He shot me a glare so I continuing, "But it's totally fine if you don't want to."

Ed came down wearing a nice cream colored shirt with rolled sleeves and top two buttons undone and dark narrow pants with a lot of perfume.

"I'm going out and won't be back till night so please take care of Mahi for me. Sam should be here in an hour or so."

"Can't you stay?" He grumpily said.

"I'm but I need to go today. Katherine is really angry with me and I haven't been giving her any attention because of all these stuff going on."

I saw an opportunity in these to deal with Dean so I messaged Sam and told him to not come home till evening. "Sam just messaged. He says he got caught in something so he won't be able to come before evening. So it's just you and me huh?"

It was clear that he didn't want to talk but I can't waste this golden opportunity in awkward silence. "What do you think is going on which Alex at his work? He rarely stays at home and is always worried."

"I don't know." He bluntly said.

"Is your head still hurting?" I asked genuinely worried. He must be pretty hungover considering how drunk he was last night.

"Why do you care?" he said grumpily.

"Let me think, maybe because I'm your sister." A soft chuckle left his lips. "Sister. I thought I said it a lot of times before but looks like you have a problem with remembering. So, I'll repeat it again. YOU ARE NOT MY SISTER. I never considered you as my sister nor will in the near future. So, throw that ridiculous thought out of your mind."

"I know you are lying, you said you loved me." I confidently said.

"You are so stupid Mahi. Didn't you really believed when I said that? Did you really think I'll care for filthy broken bitch?"

Now. He really crossed the line. I know he is sad and angry but it doesn't justify it. Just one more word and I would have slapped him but luckily, he left before that, leaving me to think over and over about what just happened. I thought of calling Sammy here crossed my mind but I threw it as immediately. If Sammy comes here, he'll definitely find about what just happened and if he does, he would fight Dean for it. And, that's the last thing I wanted so, I stayed alone all day.

The doorbell rang and I went to open it expecting Sam but it was Dean, stinking of alcohol. Breathing the same air as him was getting difficult.

Today was the day I was finally getting released from these 4 walls. Considering the fact I was too ecstatic, I offered to make breakfast. Alex had already left. Ed came downstairs following the smell of the breakfast and Dean was nowhere to be seen. He only came when we only 10 minutes to leave. I placed his plate on the table without looking at him or saying anything.

He noticed something was wrong but ignored it. "I have to pick Katherine up for school. So you have to take Mahi School. Drive carefully." Ed announced.

"What a drag!" I didn't comment on that, only picked my bag and left.

The whole ride he was taking glances at me but I didn't acknowledge him and continued staring outside the window with a straight.

When we reached I attempted to leave but he caught my arm. "What is this?" he asked referring to a purple bruise on the wrist of the same hand he was holding.

"A bruise." I said bluntly.

"Who did this?" he asked concern plastered on his face. "Why do you care huh? Cause last time I checked, you didn't consider me your sister." I said again bluntly and broke his grip harshly.

Taking a deep breath I walked in the school where I could feel everyone's eyes on me. They were whispering about a girl who tried to end her life by jumping in front of a vehicle. That's not me. The whispers and the glances I got were piercing like the ones I got when I jumped on Sammy in the middle of hallways.

I successfully avoided Dean for the whole day when he tried talking to me, while making sure that he knows I'm angry with him and he has something he should be guilty of.

When we reached home, Dean pulled me to a corner with my wrist. "Leave me." I said gritting my teeth.

"Stop ignoring me or else..." he growled but I cut him to it. "Or else what huh? You'll hurt me again like last night." He released my wrist.

"You mean I was the one who did that?" He asked, shocked.

"Yes genius."

"What happened last night?" He asked.

"If you want to know then you have to seat with me and talk plus you are not allowed to leave till I'm done." He nodded and followed me to the living room.

"Now tell me why are you doing this? Ignoring me, getting home drunk, doing Drugs. You weren't like this. Do you know everyone is worried sick about you including me?" I said in the softest, most assuring tone.

After 10 minutes of comfort he said, "When I found out about what you had gone through, my heart broke in million pieces. I wanted to forget everything and somehow I landed in that club. Then I started going there whenever things get unbearable. I didn't know how I was supposed to deal with it, I still don't. I was regretting leaving you with that Asshole."

"So, you decided to become like that Asshole." He looked up for me for a second before burring his head in his hands again.

"You know last night you looked exactly like him. Drunk, high, breaking things, hurting me. It was like a nightmare happening in front of my eyes. I never expected you to follow his path. You know the most important thing you should have learnt while growing up with an abusive father is that anger, sorrow, stress or anything that leads to you behaving the way you behaved last night is unacceptable. Coming from that background, you should be the last person to behave like that. Last night you hurt me a lot not only physically but also with your venom laced words."

"I'm so sorry Mahi. I'm..."

Now I gave him my iconic 2 options. "Now, you have two options, either you continue what you have been doing and be just like father who goes around everyone around him or..." "Option2. Option2..." he repeated while hugging me tightly and sobbing his heart out.

"I'm so sorry Mahi. I don't know how I did this but I would never lay a finger on you, not even in my dreams."

He was right.

He would never lay a hand on me, no matter how drunk or high he is.

Last night when I irritated him to his breaking point, even when I provoked him, he banged his hand on the table, hurting his wrist in the process but didn't hurt me.

And well, the bruise on my wrist is still an unsolved mystery.