KABANATA 9

"Hoy, umamin ka! May kalandian ka 'no?" Via nudged me while I was talking to Chase during our free cut. Agad kong pinatay ang cellphone ko at nilagay ito sa mesa ng café. I will not let them know I'm talking to someone, they'll just keep teasing me! Alam naman nilang wala akong kaalam-alam dito.

Noob parin 'to, oy!

"Gaga ka, wala. Nagre-research lang ako!" Pagrason ko sakaniya kahit alam kong hindi siya maniniwala. Nagkunwari nalang akong nag-aaral sa mga printed modules ko kahit wala naman akong pinag-aaralan. Na-drain na yata ang utak ko kaaaral ko palagi sa bahay.

"Nye nye, research daw, e nasa harap naman laptop niya!" Rein joined and teased me, sticking her tongue out before returning her gaze to her papers, highlighting important things. 

"E, para mas madali mag-type!" I reasoned, knowing I sound completely defensive.

Chase and I have been talking for four days now. I didn't realize how fun it would be talking to him, he knows when to make a joke or make me laugh, but knows exactly whenever I'm sad and gives me plenty of his advices for life. Like taking a breather, reading my book, drinking coffee, enjoying the view outside I've basically told him everything, to my hobbies, pet peeves, even the situation in my family.

I trust him. Sa apat na araw na 'yon ay pinatunayan niya sa 'kin na nandiyan lang siya kapag kailangan ko siya, I feel like he's slowly becoming my escape. He's starting to become the easiest solution I have for all my problems...just like how I use my books for closing my eyes to the excruciating reality in front of me. Whenever I talk to him, I just feel like I can finally rest and be away from the world, even just for a while. I just hope this won't last easily.

I read from a book that there will always be a reason why you meet people. It's either you're there to change their lives, or they'll be the one to change yours.

I certainly hope it's the latter. 

"Yie, palusot.com! Sige na, go pokpok!" Via cheered, throwing her head back and slapping her things due to laughing profusely. Rein rolled her eyes at Via before going back to study.

"Wala nga kasi, bahala kayo diyan!" I averted my gaze and just went back to studying, though I couldn't exactly focus.

During lunch break, I asked Via and Rein to order the food while I waited for them in the table. Kausap ko lang naman kasi si Chase, he's one year ahead of me in Computer Science. Wala raw silang Prof ngayon habang lunch ko naman kaya kinuha na namin ang oras na 'to para makapag-usap dahil alam namin na pareho kaming magiging abala sa mga gagawin mamaya.

You:

lunch namin HAHAHA

hinihintay ko friends ko

Chase:

My prof's not around

mamaya alis na rin ako

you okay there?

You:

yepp school is where I can be myself

and in a way escape my problems lol, dito lang naman ako masaya

Chase:

it's okay, loosen up and have fun in school

when you get home, i'll be your safe place.

I felt my cheeks blush when I read the message, why is he always like this? I'm new to this whole thing, ganito ba talaga sila? I mean, we've been talking for four days and he's so sweet every single time! He keeps teasing me too, but I like it that way. I like how he can make me laugh and blush at the same time.

"Huli ka!" My eyes widened when Rein snatched the phone away from me. Pilit ko itong inaabot sakaniya pero nagtutulungan na sila ni Via at pinagpapasa-pasahan ito. I frowned when I realized they were already reading the messages. I heaved a sigh in disbelief, hindi ko 'yon naisip, nakakahiya tuloy, makikita na nila!

Via placed the trays on the table while Rein kept smirking to herself while reading the messages, hindi ko alam kung hanggang saan na siya naka-back read. She might have already read the rants and problems I shared to Chase!

"Uhuh," she nodded, not tearing her gaze from the screen and kept scrolling. Via also peeked a little and kept laughing but decided to eat her food instead. I rolled my eyes and started to eat, wala na rin naman akong magagawa, nabasa niya na.

When she was already satisfied by the amount of messages she read, she handed the phone back and kept grinning.

"Sus, nahiya ka pa diyan, e lahat naman tayo may kalandian!" Rein laughed, I still felt shy. I felt quite uncomfortable with them knowing. It's like I want to keep this friendship of ours to myself, it's my safe haven, I want it only to be known by me...and him.

"But seriously, Bri. Kailan 'yan nagsimula?" Mariin na tanong sa 'kin ni Via, alam kong kapag ganiyan siya ay seryoso na siya. She might seem like the happy-go-lucky and bully friend, but she knows when to stop and take things seriously. Kahit si Rein ay natatakot kapag ganiyan na siya. But I love her for that, she only wants to protect us.

Nagsimula na akong kabahan, I will never get used to people talking to me like this, even if it's for a good cause. I will always get scared when you start talking to me in a serious tone.

"Naka-match ko do'n sa Omegle...he looked nice," I started, trying to focus on my food instead of staring at them who also kept looking at me.

Naiinis ako kapag gano'n ang tingin nila sa 'kin, I can remember my parent's faces, like they're judging my whole life because of those stares. It might sound as if I'm over reacting, but I can't stand people's stares, they make me question my entire existence.

"Sorry, hindi na sana kita pina-try no'n kung alam ko na ganito lang naman ang mangyayari," She continued with a sigh.

I immediately felt annoyed. Is she regretting it now? Pero kung hindi niya pa sinabi sa 'kin ay hindi ko pa makikilala si Chase! Ako naman ang kausap no'n, why does she have to keep pressing on it?

"Why?" I asked, trying to keep myself calm. I just..they don't understand the feeling of not having someone. Ayaw kong sakanila nalang ako nakadepende palagi, they've carried the burden with me throughout all these years, I can't drag them more into my tangled life.

"Sinabihan na kitang 'wag kang mapalapit sakanila, Brianna. Been there, done that! They will only hurt you!" I bit my lower lip when she yelled.

No. They won't hurt me. They're the ones keeping me sane. They won't leave me...

"They won't hurt me!" I defended, trying my hardest not to cry at this restaurant. I fucking cry easily!

"It's all fun and games 'til you take it seriously, Bri. Then you'll be left alone, crying endlessly, wondering what the fuck went wrong! Wake up, Brianna. They will leave you in the end..tapusin mo na 'yan bago ka pa masaktan."